GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010, is there a way to adjust the cruise so it engages instantly and holds the speed at which you press “engage”??
Search results mostly addresses not engaging at all, not slow response.

·
Registered
962 Posts
2010, is there a way to adjust the cruise so it engages instantly and holds the speed at which you press “engage”??
Yep, the cables controlling the cruise control need to be adjusted to have the proper and minimal allowable slack to respond immediately with no speed drop off when cruise is set. The factory service manual describes how to do this.

·
IronMan
18,741 Posts
Yes it’s a good time to do air filter while in down in there. Pretty sure you have to take Tupperware off to get to. In the mean time if you hit resume button twice when you go to set will stay there

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My answer is "no, there isn't a way to set it so it holds the speed w/o dropping at least 2 mph before then coming back up to the chosen speed", at least with my 2006 and I've adjusted it per the service manual and other threads on subject. Mine was worse before I adjusted it - dropping 4 or 5 mph before "catching" and comes back up to the original set speed. The worst of that is when you are chucking along and just want to ease on a touch of throttle maybe 2-3 mph more throttle to pass a car going just slightly less than I am. When the pass is complete and I let off the little extra throttle the darn thing drops 2 mph less than I was going before the pass and the passed car is now either riding up my butt or has caught up next to me. Very annoying.

I have cars and another motorcycle that are spot on with the CC and don't do this annoying thing.

·
Vendor
20,000 Posts
Usually I'm able to adjust the cable so that only 1mph is lost. For instructions, go here.

·
Registered
2002 Stream Silver ABS. Full Traxxion Suspension.
525 Posts
I used Fred's DVD's to adjust mine. There is the main way to adjust which requires Tupperware removal. There is also a short way to do it on one of his videos which does not require removing the top shelter. I did the short way a month or so ago because the cruise on this wing dropped 4 or 5 mph when setting the cruise and it bugged me. Involves getting to the cable near the fork tunnel and adjusting the barrel out about 4 turns and then checking it from there. Not countering what anyone else has said on this thread, but it worked perfect for me and I didn't have to pull the shelter.

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,207 Posts
I used Fred's DVD's to adjust mine. There is the main way to adjust which requires Tupperware removal. There is also a short way to do it on one of his videos which does not require removing the top shelter. I did the short way a month or so ago because the cruise on this wing dropped 4 or 5 mph when setting the cruise and it bugged me. Involves getting to the cable near the fork tunnel and adjusting the barrel out about 4 turns and then checking it from there. Not countering what anyone else has said on this thread, but it worked perfect for me and I didn't have to pull the shelter.
I also used the short cut method.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My 2001 doesn't "engage" cc for a while (maybe not at all) until I back off on the throttle position a bit then it picks up and accelerates to where I set it. I don't use cc much so I really don't have any desire to mess with it.
The bother/sister-in-law's fairly new Honda Pilot (fancy with adjustable adaptive cruise system) won't engage cruise at all until/unless your foot is completely off or at idle throttle position. Until I would completely release the accelerator cruise would not engage. None of the "adaptive" distance settings were sufficient for my preference of safe following distance so again, used it very little.
I always "hover" my throttle foot over the accelerator pedal just to keep it ready for brake use. My old school VWs and GMC's systems work perfectly that way.

·
Registered
271 Posts
First time I set the cruise on my 17 on the way home right after buying the bike, it snapped my head back with sudden acceleration and startled the heck out of me. I had my 02 adjusted where it was a smooth take up. I haven't messed with the 17 adjustment yet, I've just gotten used to it. Thanks to Geg for confirming my suspicion of what I need to do.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
I still haven't adjusted my 2006. I just got use to it. I usually hit Set and then hit Up a couple times and then it catches faster. Maybe I'll fix that this spring. I like the 2017 because it works perfectly - and I like it. :D

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
2001 and 2002.

I got mine to engage smoothly with no speed loss also. I had to fiddle with it several of times to acheive it though.
I was also able to adjust it without removing the shelter.

Rayjoe

·
Chard Member
13,265 Posts
Google search “gl1800riders.com cruise lag”. You’ll get a few hundred answers back to 2001 when we started correcting the problem.

Don’t adjust it per the Honda service manual, you’ll have the same lag you have now.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Every 2001 to 2010 that I have had has been able grab correct speed quickly and hold it by adjusting the cruise "hold" cable under the top shelter by the ignition switch. But some methods for adjusting given here do not work so well. The best method I have found is to get to the cable and loosen the lock nut. Then start and let it warm up a little so "fast idle" is not keeping the cold engine running. Then slowly lengthening the housing (taking up slack) until it starts raising RPM. Then back off 1 to 1.5 revolution on the nut so idle drops back to normal. Lock it off and re-assemble. You should be able to hit the button and release the throttle a second after releasing the button. The one item I have that I would love to fix on both 2010 & 2018 is if you have cruise set and you throttle up a little and then want cruise to go back to holding your desired speed. At this point, it will drop 5 MPH if you try and just let it take over again. You will need to cancel and then resume for it to go back to holding your desired speed without dropping.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yes it’s a good time to do air filter while in down in there. Pretty sure you have to take Tupperware off to get to. In the mean time if you hit resume button twice when you go to set will stay
Adjusting the slack out of the cruise cable was the first thing I did to my 04 way back in 04 and it doesn’t lose any mph when engaged.
Same here

·
Registered
962 Posts
This is correct. You can get to the adjusters without shelter removal.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I had to adjust it on my 2004. After adjustment, it was less that 1mph lag.
My 2012 has been spot on since new.

·
Registered
393 Posts
My answer is "no, there isn't a way to set it so it holds the speed w/o dropping at least 2 mph before then coming back up to the chosen speed", at least with my 2006 and I've adjusted it per the service manual and other threads on subject. Mine was worse before I adjusted it - dropping 4 or 5 mph before "catching" and comes back up to the original set speed. The worst of that is when you are chucking along and just want to ease on a touch of throttle maybe 2-3 mph more throttle to pass a car going just slightly less than I am. When the pass is complete and I let off the little extra throttle the darn thing drops 2 mph less than I was going before the pass and the passed car is now either riding up my butt or has caught up next to me. Very annoying.

I have cars and another motorcycle that are spot on with the CC and don't do this annoying thing.
Incorrect. I have a 2003 and when I press the SET button on the Cruise Control, it instantly holds the speed, no delay. If you replace your air filter, Fred Harmon's videos show you exactly how to eliminate the delay. I followed the video and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Adjusting the slack out of the cruise cable was the first thing I did to my 04 way back in 04 and it doesn’t lose any mph when engaged.
I had to adjust the cable on both of my 06 bikes, and the current 12. It only took about 3 turns on the adjuster.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts