GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was riding my 2002 GL1800 last night, the chrome/plastic engine cover next to my left foot, above the gear shift lever, fell off.

I felt it against my leg and pulled off the dark two-lane country road before it fell onto the ground. I examined it with a flashlight and the rubber seemed to be in place. Since I had nowhere else to put it, I pressed it back into place and held my ankle against it the rest of the way home.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to better secure these covers? I'd hate to have this happen in traffic on the interstate.

G

·
You could drill a small hole on the backside and secure it with a heavy fishline. Never had a problem with mine. Make sure you lube (I use spit) the towers and grommets so they fully engage when putting the cover back on. Sure wouldn't want to have to replace the covers, I'm assuming they're quite pricey.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
almost lost the right cover on my previous 2001, got lucky, my foot must have held it in place good enough but when i stopped the cover fell off

the reason it happened was a couple of the rubber gromets were missing, now i have the gromets secured with plastic wire ties, never happened again

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
TRY THIS

Mine did the same thing a couple of times.
1. glue in all grommets, you can also use a small wire tye to double secure the grommets.

2. SECURE all side covers to the bike using wire tyes looped together.

3. this prevents any side cover loss period.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Lost my right cover going to Tenn last year . Had my feet on the hiway pegs and lost it . Wimpy gave me one and new gromets , have not had a problem since

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
HEY BILL
It was all that hot you came across out in the flat country.
Hey i am thinking about bringing my DR350 out to jimmys maybe in a month or so. Do you have your road plowed so i can come for avisit?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I do the same thing that JD stated. Wire tie the grommets and secure the panels with wire loop. I learned that trick when I use to ride a Pacific Coasst.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wimpy roads are plowed , colder then a womens heart , maybe it will warm up by then .

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Make sure the grommets are in place. Use Honda Polish or Plexus on the bayonets so that the grommets will not be pushed out when you put the covers in. You should feel the covers snap in place. If you have to push them all the way home, then something is wrong.

Have only lost one grommet and I was not the one that put the cover of that time, it was the dealer.

I have 208,000 miles on 1800s and 281,000 miles on 1500s and so far have not lost a cover. I did loose a speaker grille off the 01 1800, but again, it was not me that put it on.

However, I have had two shrunken left speaker grilles from the Tulsa Windshield reflecting concentrated sun rays on it, enough to melt it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts