GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going to regret asking this because I feel so stupid about it. For me, removing and installing the engine covers is frustrating. To remove: there is nowhere to grab the thing. I have resorted to prying it off with a flat screw driver but this is sure to end up scratching the chrome. To install: I assume that the idea is to engage the tab on the injection cover at the back of the head and then "simply" press the two pins into the rubber grommets. But invariably the front doesn't say engaged when I push in to seat it.

So . . . what's the trick? Or is it like what my dear old dad used to tell me: "You gotta hold your tongue just right!" (Frankly, my tongue never had anything to do with what I was fussing with!)

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
engine cover

Howdy Y'All,
A little silicone SuperLube used sparingly on the two rubber grommets and the forward tab rubber will ease the process for next Times.
Probably don't want them too slippery though, since I've heard tell of a few guys having them blow off in strong winds.
Just my 2 Pesos...
WINGZ
:tools1:

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Run your finger on the lower part of the covers. You will find a little indentation. Gently pull the cover up from the bottom.
When reinstalling, use a little water (spit) on the pins.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
A Custom Tool makes it a snap:

1 large tie-wrap (zip tie, electrical tie, etc.)

2) insert the head of the Custom Tool in the slot/space as shown

3) slide the head along in the crack to the aft of the engine cover

4) gently pull on the Custom Tool handle and the cover pops right out!

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Enjoy!
Another fantastic "Why didn't I think of that idea". This goes in my easy to do book.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Great idea !!
I have been using a plastic tool that I bought for my cargo trailer to get the hub caps off.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I see that you speak of an 04 Wing.

Most likely the grommets have gotten a bit hard. You should change them once in awhile, then spray them with silicone lube and all will work fine.

All the hints in the world do not work when those grommets get weathered and stiff from age and engine heat.

I also use a couple drops of super glue on each new grommet when installed, this keeps them from pushing out of the frame as you do install the side covers.

Just one of those things you have to improve on. While you are at it next time the seat is off, glue those seat bushing in there too, then they will not fall out.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
While you are at it next time the seat is off, glue those seat bushing in there too, then they will not fall out.
Kit,
What type of glue do you use for the seat bushings? I haven't found anything that sticks to the nylon seat pan.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit,
What type of glue do you use for the seat bushings? I haven't found anything that sticks to the nylon seat pan.
Clear silicone caulk works well. And if you ever need to you can get them out of the pan. Holds well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
874 Posts

Enjoy!
Hopefully I beat you to the patent office so I can make a fortune on MY latest tool invention...The Goldwing side cover removal tool....MSRP 59.95!:roll:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hopefully I beat you to the patent office so I can make a fortune on MY latest tool invention...The Goldwing side cover removal tool....MSRP 59.95!:roll:
Or you can order your FAIR DINKUM AUSSIE MATE ROO-MOVAL tool for only 129.99 and the first caller get a genuine VHS copy of Crocodile Dundee :joke:

+$840 shipping and handling :wrong:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Enjoy!
:agree: I carry a few in the trunk just in case I need to get in there for some reason while on the road.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I don't feel quite so stupid. The older/hardened grommets would make it harder to press in/pull off although I've replaced the two back ones (it seems those are the first to go!). I have also put a small amount of white grease on each tab to help, too. Sorry guys but I'm going to pass on the high dollar tools (although I do hope you guys have a very prosperous business!! Ha!) and stick a large zip tie in the saddlebag for the next removal: great idea! Thanks bgross! Reinstalling still requires my tongue to be in just the right place, however, getting the front tab to insert into the rubber slot/grommet on the injection cover . . . maybe I should try concentrating on its tongue instead of MY own (sorry Dad!).

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

Enjoy!
That's slick, thanks for sharing.:bow::bow:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I've got some of those 'custom tools' sitting in a plastic bin on my workbench. I just found a new use for them. Very ingenious.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Not sure why but some bikes I've worked on those covers are a lot more trouble to get on and off, my bike still has the original grommets and the covers are pretty easy to get on and off. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Use a little Murphy's soap on the grommets. It will not hurt the rubber and makes for easy install and removal.
I use the paste that truck tire shops use for mounting tires.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've got some of those 'custom tools' sitting in a plastic bin on my workbench. I just found a new use for them. Very ingenious.
They are also good for picking your teeth!:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts