GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 has a miss that has been there since I bought it with 6800 miles on it. It usually happens when accelerating from a low speed corner, the engine seems to die for just a split second. It is all cylinders as far as I can tell. I've never mentioned it to a mechanic since I can't find a pattern to definitely replicate it. It is usually in second gear but can happen in any gear, always under acceleration. Anyone else experienced this?

G

·
Best guess, I would suspect a bad bank angle sensor. When I ride on really choppy washboard gravel roads I feel the same split second cutouts that you describe, several per second, but I sort of expect that behavior in that situation. In your case, it's malfunctioning. Best get it looked at.

·
Registered
143 Posts
cut out

it was my understanding that once bank angle sensors tripped the only way to reset was to turn the ignition off and back on then restart, of course thats one that is working properly.just opinion.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My 03 did that exact same thing when accelerating from a turn. Just a slight miss. My dealer investigated the problem and found that my kill switch was defective. Any exaggerated compression or extension of the forks would trigger it in turns, washboard roads, or rail road crossings.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jobber, do you mean the switch on the bars? It does do it occasionally going straight from a light also.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where can I get a list of all recalls?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kevin, that recall was only on the '01!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the recall was for the '01, will they repair it on other years?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One way to test the kill switch theory is to tap on the top of the kill switch while the engine is idling. A flakey switch will often exhibit the failure mode while soing this sitting still.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts