·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the question I had, to begin with. Either, those who are using it are not here or not responding; or no one is using it, that’s a little hard to believe. I hope to hear some actual use experiences.

·
Registered
2021 GL
114 Posts
I read about some and found some that had the installation instructions. I don't know if they were the same ones. The installation I read had a bracket that clamped on up front and then the bars bolted to the clamp. The bottom went where the stock bars are mounted and I'm not sure about the back, but I think it bolted right in with no modification. If you look at those pictured the rear flange is a little different between right side and left side. I'd be interested it the front attachments bolt to each other. I'll be looking forward to hearing about them.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Would be nice if they showed them installed. Do the hinder removal of the valve covers? From the picture the welds look terrible. Are they powdercoated or just painted. Not too many Chinese parts I trust.
And the fact that there are only 2 left concerns me. One time run?

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I were looking for guards for a new Goldwing, I would choose the National Cycle, made in USA ones. Here is the link: National Cycle® Comfort Bars for GL1800 Gold Wing
I am tempted to get these but, if you look at how they mount, I'm not sure they'd do any good. Looking at the installed images, they mount to the bike via relatively thin plate steel at two locations up front and a hose clamp at the rear. Seems to me that if I dropped the bike, just a drop, not a slide, those metal plates would just bend. You'd have to remove them to straighten out the mounts (if they can be fixed). It's like it's a one-and-done design.

Also, most bolted joints are designed for clamp forces (bolt pinch things together). A ground strike in addition to deforming the plates could rip the bolts out of whatever they mount to.

Has anyone who's installed these actually dropped the bike and found that they do in fact work without damage?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I am tempted to get these but, if you look at how they mount, I'm not sure they'd do any good. Looking at the installed images, they mount to the bike via relatively thin plate steel at two locations up front and a hose clamp at the rear. Seems to me that if I dropped the bike, just a drop, not a slide, those metal plates would just bend. You'd have to remove them to straighten out the mounts (if they can be fixed). It's like it's a one-and-done design.

Also, most bolted joints are designed for clamp forces (bolt pinch things together). A ground strike in addition to deforming the plates could rip the bolts out of whatever they mount to.

Has anyone who's installed these actually dropped the bike and found that they do in fact work without damage?

View attachment 391161
I don't think these are actually crash bars. Since they call them COMFORT BARS. Appears to be more of a way to add highway pegs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't think these are actually crash bars. Since they call them COMFORT BARS. Appears to be more of a way to add highway pegs.
That's kind of what I figured. I had crash bars on my R1200RT that saved the day the one time I dropped it. It would be great if someone (cough, @Max McAllister , cough...cough) could develop something similar for the 18+ Wings.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
BTW, Honda stopped calling them crash bars. Instead, they are engine guards. Guess they wanted to be politically correct.
Crash bars sound like an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW, Honda stopped calling them crash bars. Instead, they are engine guards. Guess they wanted to be politically correct.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow. Those will significantly affect you lean angle. Look how much they extend beyond the OEM bumper! Unless you never lean, those are going land before anything else does. Me? I'd rip them off the bike.
You should be able to see the amount of lean I normally do by watching the following clip I have on YouTube:

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
You should be able to see the amount of lean I normally do by watching the following clip I have on YouTube:
Those are impressive. However, taking a hard turn under speed will compress the suspension more than slow speeds lowering the bike in the turns. My stock 2012 will not normally hit the pegs, but will when making a slow tight turn, but will when making the same type of turn at higher speeds.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah, that's great. Seriously. I can't do that. BUT...that video was without the bars installed. My point was that those bars, the ones in the pictures you posted, will seriously affect your ability to lean in. Please install them and show us another video with you doing the same radius turns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts