GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have issues with the amount of heat that comes off the valve covers / heads in warm weather? We have finally got to Florida and in 90 degree heat, the heat from the heads is very warm on your shins.

Is there an aftermarket solution?

Having come from New England, this is a new problem........not that I am complaining <grin>

·
Registered
260 Posts
I only noticed it once. It was 111 degrees out in the middle of Arizona and it got quite uncomfortable. My quick solution was to tie my pants down to my boots with some of those military blousing straps. That kept the hot air from going up the pants legs. In the temperatures I normally ride around here, I haven't noticed it, at least not to that degree.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes it does get warm but in comparison it is a pleasure. Try riding a Harley, Ducati 998, FJR1300, etc. in the high temperatures. You will absolutely love the lack of heat that the wing gives off.

Cheers.
Marc

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
lomax how do you like your adventurer-that is one sweet dual sport

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
sa1lng said:
Does anyone else have issues with the amount of heat that comes off the valve covers / heads in warm weather? We have finally got to Florida and in 90 degree heat, the heat from the heads is very warm on your shins.

Is there an aftermarket solution?

Having come from New England, this is a new problem........not that I am complaining <grin>
Do you have highway pegs? If so, and they position your legs around the radiator grilles, that's where the heat is coming from. I don't notice much heat coming off the engine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
some have said baker side wing/sheilds keep that from becomng too hot. mine gets warm but like the man says sit ontop a harley or have a fjr1300 blow 200 degree air at your crotch, and you'll be ok. look on the tech area around pages 40-60 their is some good stuff in their. bru

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
lomax said:
Yes it does get warm but in comparison it is a pleasure. Try riding a Harley, Ducati 998, FJR1300, etc. in the high temperatures. You will absolutely love the lack of heat that the wing gives off.

Cheers.
Marc
At least when I ride my Harley there is wind that hits your legs.. unlike when I ride my Wing.. so i think its a trade off....

cosmic

·
Registered
164 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
At least when I ride my Harley there is wind that hits your legs.. unlike when I ride my Wing.. so i think its a trade off....

cosmic
DOH! You are so right. I was thinking of my fully faired E-glide and being stuck in that horrible traffic jam that one day. I guess any bike would get a bit warm in that situation.
Now the Duc and the FJR would like to roast you at about any time. :lol:
I have not had the wing out in the really high tempatures yet so I am probably not the right person to be making such a bold statement. I don't think I have ridden it in over 80deg. weather and then was managing to keep it rolling down the road and not stuck in traffic.

Cheers.
Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts