GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried the search function and could find anything. Has anyone tried "Engine Ice" coolant, or is it not compatible with out Goldwings. I was just wondering if the claims of cooler running engines was true!

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Sorry, have no idea if it is compatable. The important question to ask is why do you need it. Other then parade speed riding on older GL1800s, their cooling systems fuction fine if maintained as required and repaired as needed.

Rule of thumb ... never use a chemical unless there is good reason for it and just because is not a good reason. That product would be considered a chemical.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
coolanrt

I use a similar product called "Water Wetter ". These products just raise the boiling point of your coolant, so if you get stuck in parade mode it buys you some time before having to shut down due to overheating. I like it as an insurance thing when riding into high temp areas. Never know when you will get stuck at a wreck or traffic jam.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I use a similar product called "Water Wetter ". These products just raise the boiling point of your coolant, so if you get stuck in parade mode it buys you some time before having to shut down due to overheating. I like it as an insurance thing when riding into high temp areas. Never know when you will get stuck at a wreck or traffic jam.
I beleive that is what they claim. A better solution is to have a airtight cooling system that hold pressure as designed and a good rad. cap. Usually, if a person has a coolant problem on a GW, the rad. cap fails a pressure test, and/or the hose clamps leak from not holding pressure, and/or, the recovery system has holes/cracks in the tubes. For every 1lb of pressure the cooling system is under, it raises the boiling point 2.75 deg. So a 20lb cap raises the 220deg to 275deg. It is also important to have good air flow through the rad fins.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
snake oil

Have regular Honda coolant in my 2005 Goldwing...all is well after many years

special engine coolant
mystery oil for the engine
magic beads for the tires
magic nitrogen for tires
go fast wax :)

All a bunch of hooey

I have yet to see any scientific data for ANY of these products that support any benefit for the added cost...I am talkng about a designed double blind study

Evidence is all anectodal and "feel good" nonsense

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Stuna, does it actually work as they claim?
and the claim is :joke:, it will not run cooler on the norm , as the thermostat controls that , but the claim is that it can dissipate heat faster . that is when the fans are on , thermostat open , well i never did testing , so :shrug:. so i cant tell you a real answer :bow:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Info Stuna. A friend of mine asked me about it and it got me to thinking about the hot days in Alabama, and getting stuck in traffic. Sitting there and watching the needle on the temp gauge climb wondering if I'm going to get to move or pull off the road and let her cool down!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Thanks Stuna.

7 degrees doesn't sound like much.
But neither does and extra 1 1/2 inch's.

I believe every little bit can make a big difference.

Used it in all my bikes,the Porsche,and the F150.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Ok, I use it on my Prairie 650 and it works not so much but well enough that I'm not going to flush until I get my $20 a bottle's worth (which will be a long long time). Now, on my LTZ400 which my grandson rides. He asked for Engine Ice, we put it in and the quad heated up and boiled really quick. After doing some research here's what I discovered. The LTZ has a problem with the coolant moving too fast through the radiator hence, it does not cool enough there and soon you overheat. They sell an impeller that actually slows the water flow for $75 and a bit of work and gaskets to install making it all about $100 if ya pay yourself $10 and hour. The engine ICE was way thin so it was like plain water and it moved too fast.

So...... here's what we did... We put Prestone in it at a ratio of 75/25 instead of 50/50 which makes it thicker hence it flows slower which accomplishes the task at a reasonable price. The Z has not heated up since.

FWIW

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
Ok, I use it on my Prairie 650 and it works not so much but well enough that I'm not going to flush until I get my $20 a bottle's worth (which will be a long long time). Now, on my LTZ400 which my grandson rides. He asked for Engine Ice, we put it in and the quad heated up and boiled really quick. After doing some research here's what I discovered. The LTZ has a problem with the coolant moving too fast through the radiator hence, it does not cool enough there and soon you overheat. They sell an impeller that actually slows the water flow for $75 and a bit of work and gaskets to install making it all about $100 if ya pay yourself $10 and hour. The engine ICE was way thin so it was like plain water and it moved too fast.

So...... here's what we did... We put Prestone in it at a ratio of 75/25 instead of 50/50 which makes it thicker hence it flows slower which accomplishes the task at a reasonable price. The Z has not heated up since.

FWIW
So did you put in the newer impeller?

Here is the problem when experimenting with chemicals. It may fix it for the climate that day. The manufacures such as Honda, looks at a broader picture. For example, their goal is to have a properly working cooling system where ever a GoldWing may travel on Earth. Not sure what that means to them. If it where a car, that would mean in temperature from maybe -50 deg to +125 deg. So the question would be, how is your cooling system going to work in other climates?

I stand by my writing above. Make sure your cooling system is fuctioning properly and working efficently and you will not have a problem. If their is a known overheating issue, the manufature will come up with a correction for it. Playing with chamicals is not the way to correct an overheating problem. Something else is not right. Verify everything else is correct first.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have yet to put it in my wing but about a dozen of us run it in our VTX's (1800's) and you can tell a big difference in traffic especially. Our fans don't come on as often and according to my i.r. gun about 20degrees. It gets HOTTT here in Memphissippi and we love the stuff!

·
Registered
99 Posts
In Use

Ive used ENgine Ice for 2 years now, I couldnt tell that much of a Differeance Im going to the Honda type II, I bought two Gal ant the Honda car Dealership

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
So did you put in the newer impeller?

Here is the problem when experimenting with chemicals. It may fix it for the climate that day. The manufacures such as Honda, looks at a broader picture. For example, their goal is to have a properly working cooling system where ever a GoldWing may travel on Earth. Not sure what that means to them. If it where a car, that would mean in temperature from maybe -50 deg to +125 deg. So the question would be, how is your cooling system going to work in other climates?

I stand by my writing above. Make sure your cooling system is fuctioning properly and working efficently and you will not have a problem. If their is a known overheating issue, the manufature will come up with a correction for it. Playing with chamicals is not the way to correct an overheating problem. Something else is not right. Verify everything else is correct first.
Well, I pretty much explained that I did not put in a new impeller. I am 62 and have been riding and "experimenting " with chamicals since I was 12.... well, you do the math. When I plan to take my quad to Alaska or ride it in the winter, I might look for another solution (pun intended). The fact that fluid travels too fast through the radiator on the LTZ400 is legendary according to my research. I worked with a fellow (he did the welding on my products for the wing) who built extended radiators for these beasts. His solution? A double barreled radiator which caused the coolant to circulate TWICE through the area where it was to be cooled by airflow/fan action.

I don't share your opinion that manufacturers are the final authority. They are bound by liability and they will try their utmost to admit nothing when it is discovered that something is wrong with their design. I worked in the auto industry for 28 years and know this to be fact.

·
Vendor
17,403 Posts
I hear you Waldo. I tried to write what I wrote in a way where all the other possibilities are elliminated first. And do understand that manufactures may not correct a known problem for various reasons.

On GL1800's though, other then parade mode on older models, overheating is not a known issue. So jumping to chemical fix is not a fix but a bandaid covering up the real problem. Many on here use checmicals trying to correct to many problems.

The OP needs to start with a pressure test of the cap and cooling system and a visual inspection of the rad fins for good air flow as well as a visual of his recovery system. He will most likely find his correction there. If his cap has more then 60k or 5yrs old, the probablity of that being bad is extreemly high.

Are you going to WingDing?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ok, I use it on my Prairie 650 and it works not so much but well enough that I'm not going to flush until I get my $20 a bottle's worth (which will be a long long time).
That was exactly my use for it also, I also have a Brute Force 750 with factory fill that runs much cooler than my Prairie650.
The only machine I have seen that run's hotter is the Prairie700, engine ice did very little to nothing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Boiling point of four popular coolants:

Honda HP-265

Engine Ice-256

Liquid Performance-260

Maxima Coolanol-265

You do the math.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts