GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wing at start up has had the horrible sounding knock that only lasts a second. This has happened twice and the bike had been sitting on the side stand for about a week each time. I know some have had this happen and suspect oil getting into the combustion chamber causing a sort of hydraulic lock. I wonder if you guys that have had this problem have aftermarket front springs? I noticed my bike leans more with the better springs in the front. My fork tubes are raised 10 mm. I think how the pistons end up at shut down could also play a part in this and oil getting past the rings. By the way, I did notice what could of been an oil smell right after this knock. I think if this is indeed a hydraulic lock, however brief, is not a good thing and could cause great harm to the con rods, bearings, etc. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Sounds more like dry start to me. Make sure you have a good oil filter and it is not sitting there and draining dry. The sound of marbles at start up for just a second is dry start.

You will find varied opinions on storing your bike, but I do prefer to store it on the center stand, sometimes mine will sit for a week, like this last week it has been too cold or rainy, so it has sat. It could be in my mind, but it just seems like leaving it on the center stand always is better.

Kit

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Dr Detail, Unless there is "much" more than 4 qts of oil in the engine

or you leave it on the crash bars, I would look elsewhere.

You can turn the engine over and not start it by holding

throttle wide open. Thus listening for noise before start up.

If a valve is sticking open there will be a change in starter noise

while turning over.

Have a friend present when noise is likely for another

pair of ears. Remove side covers.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Mine did the same exact thing a couple of months ago. Freaked me out. The bike had been sitting for a few weeks. In my case, I believe it was the result of inadequate ignition causing the death rattle. Unknown to me, my alternator had died and the bike was running off of the battery (which was also almost dead). The sad state of the battery, combined with a non-functioning alternator created poor ignition. Once the battery was charged up, the noise was gone, and hasn't come back <yet>....

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I asked this question a couple years ago on my 02. The consensus was it is the clutch basket. Mine did it after a week or two of sitting whether on the side or center stand. I changed to synthetic oil and seemed to help. My 06 hasn't done it yet. It seems to be a fairly common problem, some do some don't. It doesn't seem to cause any harm. People with over 100,000 mile had it happen several times with obviously no harm done. I had 60,000 on the 02 when sold and didn't notice it getting worse. I guess the oil drains out of the clutch when sitting and the basket that holds the plates will rattle for a bit. I will try to find that thread and post it for you. My suggestion is after sitting for a while don't start it with any Harley riders around.;)

http://208.43.95.107/forums/showthread.php?t=168279&highlight=rattle

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Several years ago with my 01, 190K miles, I questioned the Honda Rep about this noise, and I was told it was the clutch basket rattling before oil fillup.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If your bike is parked for an exteneded period of time, turn the "kill" button on and "crank" the engine for several short cycles. Do not touch the throttle. After this, turn kill swith off and start the engine. You should notice that the noise will be less or completly gone by doing this. If parked more than a day, I would park the bike on the center stand instead of the sidestand.

I have been doing this a very long time. It seems to work and just make me feel better!
Amazing - my bike won't crank with the "kill" button turned. One time I tried to start it without noticing it, and had a panicky moment thinking that my 5 year old battery finally had died.

I've had other bikes that would crank with the "kill" switch activated, but not my GL1800.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
+1

Hondas do not crank with the kill switch off. Voltage is passed from the bank angle to the kill switch to the start button to the relays.

Pics will be back as soon as our server goes back online (power outage due to ice storms).

"Clutch basket" is a VERY loose term for what you are probably hearing (I hate that term "clutch basket"). The wing has a constant mesh transmission. When it is running in neutral with the clutch engaged (lever NOT pulled, another confused term on this board) ALL of the gears and shafts are turning inside the tranny, there's just no connection to the rear drive. There's likely your noise. Try starting with the clutch disengaged (lever pulled in). IF the "clutch basket" was to make noise, THAT would be the time it would make it, when it's "loose" or disengaged. Engaged and it's pretty much locked up and running with the crank and all the gear shafts.

All of these are spinning and splashing when the clutch is engaged.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Waldo I always have started my bikes with the clutch disengaged. A habit that goes back to the 60's. My 02 definitely made the noise with the clutch disengaged.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Waldo I always have started my bikes with the clutch disengaged. A habit that goes back to the 60's. My 02 definitely made the noise with the clutch disengaged.
Exactly.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
+1

Hondas do not crank with the kill switch off. Voltage is passed from the bank angle to the kill switch to the start button to the relays....
Well, not lately anyway.

My '81 GL1100 could crank with the kill switch off. I know, because in the 20 years I owned it, I usually did this before starting the engine if it had been more than a few days since it had last been run.

I think that is a good practice, in general.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,588 Posts
If you are worried about a "dry" start, just turn the throttle wide open and crank it for a few seconds to circulate the oil. The ECM will have the fuel shut off, so it won't start. This is the "clearing a flooded fuel injected engine function". Just don't let off that throttle until you stop cranking it!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If you are worried about a "dry" start, just turn the throttle wide open and crank it for a few seconds to circulate the oil. The ECM will have the fuel shut off, so it won't start. This is the "clearing a flooded fuel injected engine function". Just don't let off that throttle until you stop cranking it!

Hmmm... Very Interesting. I'm going to have to try that. I posted a topic a while back expressing frustration with not being able to crank the engine after an oil change to charge the filter with oil before running the engine. No one mentioned this little quirk. Thanks!

Daveo

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,588 Posts
It started with FI car systems to simulate opening the "butterflies" in a carb type engine when flooded. On cars as well as bikes, it shuts off the fuel and opens the throttlebody plates to clear the cylinders without adding more fuel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts