GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 engine management light came on today and won't reset by disconnecting battery and waiting. Have been out for a ride and stopped with side stand down but doesn't flash any codes at all. Just stays on. Can anyone advise the reset procedure to clear it otherwise I need tocontact dealer to sort.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The reset procedure is on page 4-8 of the service manual. You do understand that resetting the light will erase any codes that have been generated? You also need SCS short connector (or know which pins to jump).

1. Connect the SCS short connector to the DLC (pg 4-8 )
2. Turn the ignition switch on.
3. Remove the SCS short connector from the DLC.
4. The MIL will light for approximately 5 seconds. While the MIL lights, short the DLC terminals again with the SCS short connector. The stored DTC is erased if the MIL goes off and starts
blinking. Note: The DLC must be jumped while the MIL is lit. If not, the MIL will not start blinking. Also, the memory will not be erased if the ignition switch is turned off before the MIL
starts blinking.

Major NOTE! I'm not responsible if things don't work out!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for info , I was hoping to reset and then see if the fault returns. I've been in touch with the dealer so hoping to get it looked at under Honda warranty. I usually fix things myself so like to know my options.

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
I'd want to pull the code first, write it down for future reference, before erasing it. 6th gens have about 3 times more codes the 5th gen did.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Engine Management Light Out, hoorah! I did a reset from cold, start with no throttle and waited till the cooling fans came on, about 15 mins, then switched off then restarted, the light remained on so a little disappointed. Regardless I took the bike for a run with the light staying on, it rides like normal. Stopped, bike cooled down again and then restarted it about 3 hours later, hey presto the engine management light came on as it should and then went off as it should. Looks like resetting the ecu/ engine management light takes a few start stop cycles to think about it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Engine Management Light Out, hoorah! I did a reset from cold, start with no throttle and waited till the cooling fans came on, about 15 mins, then switched off then restarted, the light remained on so a little disappointed. Regardless I took the bike for a run with the light staying on, it rides like normal. Stopped, bike cooled down again and then restarted it about 3 hours later, hey presto the engine management light came on as it should and then went off as it should. Looks like resetting the ecu/ engine management light takes a few start stop cycles to think about it.
I have the tool, but just for fun tried your method and it worked great! Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts