GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it is the fuel injection or the valves, but I have noticed that when I accelerate agressivley I notice a rattle in the engine, not a terrible sound but noticeable. I have a 2003 with 50K, any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most likely valves are 'pinging'. Mine ('07 34K) does it too. Tried a higher octane fuel, and it seemed to help. I also think it helps to run up each gear, instead of romping on it at low rpms. But I don't ride that aggressively so I ended up going back to 87.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Don't care what the experts say... I run premium in mine.

I presume all of you bike's services are up to date?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't know if it is the fuel injection or the valves, but I have noticed that when I accelerate agressivley I notice a rattle in the engine, not a terrible sound but noticeable. I have a 2003 with 50K, any ideas or suggestions?
Watch the octane rating of the fuel you use. In some parts of the country, regular is 85 octane. I've found that I get that same symptom with my '06 if I use 85 octane so I step up to mid-grade at those stations which is usually 87 or 89 octane and the issue goes away. The bulk of the stations out west are 87 octane for regular.

Something else that may help is the addition of a little Techron or Seafoam to a couple tanks of fuel. It will flush the injectors and clear the cylinders of any carbon that may be there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts