GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall there was a thread about which engine oil was the best. One fellow who was a dealer was taking the position that Amsoil oil was the best, I believe he was from Canada. I wrote and told him to send me some and I would test it in my bike and put whatever I found on this board. It's been a long winter here in Indiana and I just recently had they oppertunity to try his oil. I have always used Mobil red cap with good results. The difference is amazing, this Amsoil oil makes my 2001 GL1800 shift as smooth as silk. I am one not to change anything that I know to work without someone tring it before me. But in this case this oil is by far the best I have ever used. I have tried Golden specter oil (I did not like it at all), Honda (made my bike shift hard) and Mobil red cap (good oil but the bike shift with a loud clunk sometimes). I have to say this Amsoil makes the motor guieter and shift smoother then any other oil I have every used. Since I have lost that fellow name and number that sent me the oil to try, I will have to find out where I can buy some more as it will be the oil I use from now on. Just wanted to share this with all of you. --Larry

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Livy,

Like you, I am a convert to AMSOIL. I listened to all the experts in the oil business, and was so confused when I finished, I quit listening.

Don Stefanik is probably one of the finest individuals that I know. In fact, we have become Friends because of AMSOIL, and our general interest in Gold Wings.

I hate change as well. Took me 28 years to get divorced and then it is taking me another 9 years to get married. So you can see, that I move very slowly...LOL

I had no problems with the Honda oils or the opinions about all the other oils in the market place. What I do know, is that once I started using AMSOIL, my bike ran quieter, cooler and shifted a lot smoother. (Thanks Don).

At any rate, what ever floats ones boat, is the oil to use. I chose Amsoil.

Bulldog

·
Registered
185 Posts
Exactly which of the Amsol oils do I need to order?

mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike I used the 20\50 in my bike.--Larry

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well I did just the opposite................

I've been an avid Amsoil user for 4 years until just recently I switched to Mobil 1 15W-50 (yet to get out on the road to give it a try).

The Amsoil oil is just fine but the marketing finally got to me!
I'm tired of having to pay yearly dues to be a prefered member (cheaper oil prices) plus pay shipping costs.
OR
Having to find someone who is a dealer to order through and pay more than I can by being a prefered member.

Amsoil has a great product but their marketing sucks...............sell it at the local Wally Mart, etc and I'll buy it!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's some food for thought. I was at the Indy formula one this year and stopped by the Mobil trailer and got to talk to one of their engineers. I asked him about using Mobil one red cap in my bike. He did not recommend it saying that the old mobil one was ok to be used in a MC but now they make a Mobil one just for air cooled and water cool bikes. He said the reason was they had to take out some additives from Mobil one that was causing some problems with catalitic converters. The additives taken out had something to do with the wet clutchs we use. Bottom line the Mobil one engineer did not recommend for us to use red cap in out bikes. FYI

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Brian,
Fleet Farm sells Amsoil, something over $4 per quart. I don't use Amsoil.

·
Registered
64 Posts
oil

After reading all the oil topics over the last month its to me no oil is good enough.One says dino and one says syn.,what is a person to do?Seems like we are in trouble,no oil is good enough.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
oil

Brian,
Next time you're in wally mart pick up a gallon jug of shell rotella 5w40 synthetic, retails for 12.88 a gallon. It works as well as mobil 1 imho. Comes in the right size for the 1800.
JD

·
Registered
676 Posts
This is all such an old boring subject but I keep coming back to read the BS for some stupid reason. Any newbies out there inclined to believe this crap please read Mike Guillory Motor Oil, do a search. He is an expert on motor oil. He uses Shell Rotella T 15-40 non-synthetic. So go ahead and use whatever rings your chimes but realize it cannot in any way whatsoever make your motorcycle last longer. I have never even heard of a modern 4 stroke motorcycle engine failing due to type of motor oil but only due to lack of oil. I use Chevron Delo 15-40 diesel and mixed fleet specific non syn. And of course don't use energy conserving.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to tell you all about a product I found to be great for me and my bike. After reading some of you bull sh*t comments I know why so many people are learking and not posting on this board. I don't understand why some people if they have nothing good to say just can't shut up and say NOTHING. Believe me when I tell you that you would not be so rude if you were standing in front of me! I quess it's easy to be bold hiding behind your key boards. I am easy to find look me up Ass ho**'s.--Larry

G

·
0 Posts
Larry, don't take it personal!!

Oil is one of a handful of subjects that historically generate
a lot of heat and not much light. Everyone has an opinion, and everyone is right.

I re-read the responses, and while no one thanked you for your
"product review" (with the exception of Red), I don't think anyone was intentionally rude
(with the possible exception of JW)...
and you, in your final post.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Change the oil,Change the tires, change the plugs, air and oil filters, and keep it fairly clean and it'll last a long, long time. Why who knows, your grandchildren may inherit your wing.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Oil

I drink a quart of Amsoil for breakfast, a quart of Mobil Red Cap for lunch, and a quart of Rotella T for dinner. By the time I get ready to go to bed, I'm sitting on the toilet for hours.

Definitely a personal choice. Use any good oil and change it often and I think your bike will run well for years. For me, the synthetics make my bike run quieter, but candidly, they all give me gas!!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
LIVY

Don't pay no tension to th bad pecans. I been in this bowl for about three years & there's some purty good nuts in here. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Livy,

As a general rule of life for me, I will respect the right of everyone, to express his or her opinions whether I agree with the point or not. I was in the service for 22 1/2 years, 3 years in Nam all voluntarily, so that America can remain a Democracy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Believe it or not, when a person has an opinion about something, they generally believe what they are saying, unless they are just pulling ones chain.

Calling folks names for whatever reason, in a Public Domain, is not acceptable in any society. Your comment was uncalled for and inflammatory in nature.

Oil is supposed to deal with friction, not create it. As a member of this board, I wish that you would have handled your expressions in a mature, acceptable manner. There is so much hate in the world already, without us adding to the quotient.

Liv, lighten up, let others that do not know you, get to see what a great guy you are and can be.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Once again Bulldog says it all

I would vote for him. But Mr. Livy some like Amsoil some do not, big deal. I am glad you have had a very good expierence with Amsoil, it was nice of Don to send you some to try he is an alright kinda guy as just about everyone on this board (myself excluded :). It must be nice to get out and ride your wing, some of us are still wintered in so to speak, have fun and ride often.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
Livy
I don't know if you have noticed but OIL is one of the most popular subjects on this board. You are not the first and for sure won't be the last to express a good opinion of Amsoil. Some like Amsoil some don't and many more are happy with whatever brand they are useing. I am glad to see you like Amsoil but don't let this oil thing bother you or you might miss out on some of the other fun stuff here. I bet if you read your post and the replies a month from now you will think why did I let myself get up set over such a minnor thing? I been there and done that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts