GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
As a new Wing owner I haven't had the opportunity to strip my Wing down to its underwear like some of you have, so I am hoping you can give me some advice.

I have an 05 wing that has started leaking oil from the top of the case, on the right side, right at the back of the engine. I have attached a picture here so you can see where it looks like its coming from.

As you can tell, this is behind the right side cover and deep behind the rear brake fluid reservoir. Of course I can't see in there very well, and was surprised I got the picture I did. Anyways, my first question is, what's up in there that could be leaking? If it seems like there are a few things that might be causing the problem, I will try to tackle this myself. If no one has any idea, then I guess its off to the dealer. I'm not a big fan of most dealers.......

The left side is totally dry.

Loose case bolts is the obvious I guess, but I don't know if there are any sensors or fittings up there that could be leaking. Any ideas?

Thanks,

I

·
0 Posts
My 02 has never leaked or burned a drop of oil since day one. It is a Honda. Hondas don't leak oil..at least none I know of.

You should NOT be leaking oil anywhere. Very unusual. See dealer..warranty.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Shouldn't this be moved to the Harley section??

Maybe the hose clamp is not tight, how many miles??

In any case above poster is correct, warranty item, while they are fixing it have them change the airfilter, of course this is depending on your mileage. They may have to remove the shelter to check things out...and since their already there....

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would clean the area thoroughly with brake parts cleaner and rags and observe the area for a while. May not be leaking, just oily residue from assembly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
rottendog said:
It's an 05, his is 06. WARRANTY
Part of what you paid for the bike is for warranty, use it!
People often say this, and I don't necessarily disagree, but it's not that cut and dried. The problem with warranty work is that it's (often) done by wrenches who aren't all that good, and who don't care much about your bike. For a symptom like this it might make sense to take the bike in and lose the use of it for a few days while the service tech thinks about getting around to looking at it, but I'd be more inclined to spend an afternoon digging at it.

Of course, it depends on how handy you are, how much you trust your dealer's service techs, and what you plan on doing with the bike.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I hope that you put in a little Break Fluid while you were at it. It looks a bit low.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jon H said:
rottendog said:
It's an 05, his is 06. WARRANTY
Part of what you paid for the bike is for warranty, use it!
People often say this, and I don't necessarily disagree, but it's not that cut and dried. The problem with warranty work is that it's (often) done by wrenches who aren't all that good, and who don't care much about your bike. For a symptom like this it might make sense to take the bike in and lose the use of it for a few days while the service tech thinks about getting around to looking at it, but I'd be more inclined to spend an afternoon digging at it.

Of course, it depends on how handy you are, how much you trust your dealer's service techs, and what you plan on doing with the bike.

As Jon said, it's not that cut and dried.

I am in Vancouver, and the bike is a US bike. It has warranty in the US, but the nearest dealer to me is Als Honda in Bellingham. From what I have been able to gather, I shouldn't take it there. My next nearest dealers are Maryotts at 75 miles from here, and Smokey Point at 100 miles away. I don't know if either of them have any experience with a Wing. Warranty or not, I'd rather fix it myself than have some guy who doesn't know what he is doing messing with it. If someone can tell me they know either of these dealers to have good techs, no problem. Now someone should say that I have no experience either, and that's true, but I build submarines so I expect I can work on my bike, and I will not be rushed like a tech will be, and I also have Fred's videos.

Also, I'd hate to take it to a dealer and have it sit there for a week or 4 only to find out it was a loose hose clamp. But if there is nothing up there to leak, I don't want to waste my time either.

Additional info: It's definitely leaking, as evidenced by the oil spot under the bike. I have cleaned the oil off the bike a number of times, and it leaks slowly enough that it takes about 4 hours of riding for it to show up again. I have put about 4000 miles on it, and the oil level has dropped less than 1/8".

So, to carry on, anyone have any other ideas what might be sitting atop the engine that might be leaking?

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Ron
why are u calling that the LEFT side of the engine ?

it looks like the rite side to me

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cycledude said:
Ron
why are u calling that the LEFT side of the engine ?

it looks like the rite side to me
Left, right, clearly I'm traumatized by this ordeal. That's why I attached a picture........

Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Any chance it might be brake fluid?

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
Ron

not sure what is going on in your case but that area is 100% oil free on my bike after 157,000 smiles

a mechanic at my dealler told me that they see lots of bikes come in with the oil way over filled, some smoke some leak some just indicate to full

there are only 2 lines on the dipstick, one for full and one for low, the oil is supposed to b between those 2 lines without screwing in the stick but lots of folks think its a good idea to put in a little extra, not a good idea

looking at the Honda dipstick its pretty easy to understand why some folks could missunderstand the markings, i am surprised they havn't come up with a better dipstick

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
cycledude said:
looking at the Honda dipstick its pretty easy to understand why some folks could missunderstand the markings, i am surprised they havn't come up with a better dipstick
I thought the old sight glass was a good idea. Park the bike on center stand on level ground. Wait a few minutes. Look and see if the oil is between the lines. It was reasonably fool proof.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cycledude said:
there are only 2 lines on the dipstick, one for full and one for low, the oil is supposed to b between those 2 lines without screwing in the stick but lots of folks think its a good idea to put in a little extra, not a good idea
The oil level is about 1/3 above the bottom line, 2/3 below the top line. And of course I am checking with the bike off, on the center stand, and after running it for a bit and then letting it sit.

It is definitely oil and not brake fluid.

My question remains, is there something on the top of the engine case, near the back, that could be leaking, other than the case itself?

·
Registered
375 Posts
You all need to realize this guy is playing with us.

Gold Wings do not leak.
Not Oil.
Not brake fluid.
Not antifreeze.
Not rear end fluid.

:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
lovetoride said:
You all need to realize this guy is playing with us.

Gold Wings do not leak.
Not Oil.
Not brake fluid.
Not antifreeze.
Not rear end fluid.

:D
Tell that to the dozens of Goldwing 1800 owners on this board alone who have had loose hose clamps cause a coolant leak. Or those whose bikes were recalled for the braking proportional control valve problem (or worse, those who took their bike in for the test, had the bike test, and then had the valve fail and leave them without brakes).

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm sure there are many out there who have had issues. I was just being a little silly. The perception is that the Harley group needs a chase vehicle while the 'Wing group just rides along without incident.

Perceptions are one thing, reality is another.

Heck, I only have 11,000 miles on my Gold Wing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts