GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 Wing has 40k miles +-.

While decelerating (no throttle) during hard riding, I get either an engine miss or drivetrain decoupling. This is quite worrisome. It's happened 3 times now, 2 close together just last Wednesday. It's like the drivetrain completely decouples for about a second during deceleration. This can't be right. :)

How can I fix this, please?

Thanks.

·
Chard Member
12,962 Posts
My '06 does the same thing. When it first did it I also thought the clutch was disengaging for some reason.

On mine its a bad surge causing the problem. I try to let the engine do the braking getting into a curve, then the bike will actually jump/surge. It's not fun to ride.

Good luck finding the problem.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
My 04 has done that a few times and I believe it is the clutch having a momentary slip. May be due to lower oil pressure when getting off the throttle. The clutch springs are assisted with engine oil pressure so if the oil pressure dips a little with the clutch working hard it's going to slip a little. Mine has done it about 3 or 4 times in the past 2.5 years but hasn't done it in the last 3 months, so I'm not worried about it now. If it starts doing it more frequently I will have it checked out. :D

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe I had the clutch disengaged, that is, the handle pulled in.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It is caused by the transmission not being completely in gear. When that happens, push down again on the shifter and you'll see it doesn't go down another gear, it just finishes the previous shift then the stumpling will stop.

I think the ECM doesn't know what to do with the gas, as it doesn't know what gear it's in.

At least that's what mine does.

John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Mine does that also. If I get hard on the brakes and downshift for some engine stopping power it is almost as if the engine starts to add power. It a very weird feeling when you are on the binders and the brakes seemingly go away a bit. I think what is happening is that the clutch uses oil pressure to assist the springs, so when you initially downshift for engine braking, the RPMs are high enough to keep the clutch from slipping, but when the engine RPM goes down with the speed of the bike The oil pressure drops. There seems to be an overlap, if you will, where you are still engine braking a bit but the oil pressure isn't high enough to keep the clutch fully engaged. So you get a momentary surge while stopping. Again, it's kinda freeky when it happens. The good thing is that it doesn't happen while panic stopping because your clutch would be dissengaged or you'd be in a high RPM mode while trying to shut everything down.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
David M. said:
How can I fix this, please?

Thanks.
So far, my fix has been the knowledge that it will happen and when it is likely to happen. And then simply apply more pressure to the lever.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
blizardj said:
It is caused by the transmission not being completely in gear. When that happens, push down again on the shifter and you'll see it doesn't go down another gear, it just finishes the previous shift then the stumpling will stop.

I think the ECM doesn't know what to do with the gas, as it doesn't know what gear it's in.

At least that's what mine does.

John
I've experienced this, as well. It seems to happen when I get a little bit "relaxed" about my down-shift. When I shift "firmly" I haven't noticed the problem.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
I think two different problems are being discussed here and I have experienced both of them. The one is clearly caused by a sloppy downshift the fix for that is obvious. The other I appreciate hearing the ideas about what is happening, lower oil pressure allow clutch to momentarily slip, makes sense to me. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts