GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a memeber here for along time, and I haven't posted much, But I've gotten alot of good info here and now I need some more advice.

My 2002 GL800 has 65,000 miles on it and started making a noise at idle like marbles rolling around in the engine. There wasn't a rythm to the noise, just an irregular knocking. Dealer checked it out and said it was something to do with "ACG gear" and they have to pull the motor to do the repair. (first time buying an extended warranty ever paid off)

My question, are there other things that I should have them do while the engine is out that will save me labor charges down the road. Hoses replaced, a friend mentioned the clutch. What do you guys with high mileage bikes think would be some good maintainence to do while the engine is already out? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
757 Posts
allsilver.......65,000. mi. on a Wing is nothing, some of our members have well over 125,000. mi. on their Wing's, & still on the original clutch.
The noise you describe could be the alternator bearing. There's been a few members have their A/B go bad.
Good luck getting your bike fixed.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Eagle Eye said:
allsilver.......65,000. mi. on a Wing is nothing, some of our members have well over 125,000. mi. on their Wing's, & still on the original clutch.
The noise you describe could be the alternator bearing. ...
Or, the clutch on the alternator.

The other clutch I wouldn't worry about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
BTDT...

It was the alternator gear drive damper in mine... Your description is spot on - except that I'll add the part where the noise goes away above idle speed. Gotta yank the serious parts to get to it.

The damper has a pre-load spring of some sort - I did not see the bad part. The spring broke/failed and the gear pack drive makes an awful rattle-roar and vibration heard and felt in three counties.

It is a "wear part" according to the great service department manager of my local dealer. I say "great" in all seriousness. Shameless plug goes here---> Desoto Honda Powersports Dealer in Southaven/Olive Branch, Mississippi.<--- They repaired it under warranty after Mother Honda haggled about it for a week. I finally got the bike back after three weeks. Mine had 42K on it when it failed. MH says it should go at least twice that far before signs of failure.

Go Figure!

To answer your question: I had the clutch discs changed; checked/inspected frame welds for cracks; hose clamps on the Y-fittings of the cooling system under the fuel tank CHANGED to more reliable clamps and TIGHTENED; torque tube u-joints serviced; u-joint boots checked; and final drive serviced. It seemed like a good idea at the time

1 - 4 of 4 Posts