GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find anything in the owners manual about this, and haven't see a topic discussed on this so I thought I would put it out there for those of us who would like to know what the procedure is in this situation.
3 years ago when I got my 2018 Tour DCT I was riding with a group, and with the bike being new, I remembered something about turning the Interface dial will allow the GPS map to zoom in and out.
So I reached up and grabbed a dial and turned it while not realizing I turned the ignition switch shutting off the engine.
I immediately thought, "what do I do?".
Now with my prior bike, I would pull in the clutch, turn the ignition back on and hit the starter and restart the engine and then go on my way.
What is the recommended procedure at that point when you shut off the ignition by mistake while doing 60 - 70 mph?
Is it a different procedure at lower speeds?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Put the DCT in neutral, hit the start switch, put the DCT in Auto or manual mode and ride on.
Bill

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Don’t turn the ignition off while riding.

Once the engine turns off with the DCT in gear there is no way to restart it until it’s in neutral again and it won’t respond to the N switch until the wheels stop turning. If it’s like a NC700/750X it rolls to a stop in 3rd or 4th gear and you have to roll the bike back and forth a little to help it shift itself back to N.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don’t turn the ignition off while riding.

Once the engine turns off with the DCT in gear there is no way to restart it until it’s in neutral again and it won’t respond to the N switch until the wheels stop turning. If it’s like a NC700/750X it rolls to a stop in 3rd or 4th gear and you have to roll the bike back and forth a little to help it shift itself back to N.
When this happened to me, I didn't know what to do so I just coasted to a stop, turned the ignition back on, the bike was in neutral, I put it in drive and drove off.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I turned it off while going just to see how it acted. It coasted ; turned it back on , hit the start button and kept going. Thats it !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts