GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to check my oil and coolant levels on my new 04 wing but I'm not sure how to get the engine side covers off. Page 120 of the owner's manual says to carefully pull the rear of the cover out until the prongs are free of the slots. I don't see anything to grab hold of ot pull.

Can someone shed some light on this for me, please?

thanks

·
Chard Member
13,047 Posts
The side covers have little nubs on it that are pushed into rubber gromets on the bike. Just grab and pull, it will come loose. You can work your fingers underneath the cover enough to pull.

When reinstalling the sidecover make sure you don't push the gromets out of place. Some people glue these rubber gromets into place. All the sidecovers are attached in this manner!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eaiser done than said. Came right off, thanks.

Is there a particular glue that will not break down the rubber grommets? One on the right side is already missing, probably swept up from the dealer’s floor.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Hal has extras for sale. I bought a set of grommets and push pins and keep them in the trunk. Of course now that I have extras I have'nt lost any! :roll:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use one of the paint can openers that Lowe's gives me every time I buy a gallon of paint. It can be slid in behind the side cover from the top rear, and the little hook on the end catches the back of the cover perfectly.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Always helps

It always make it a little easier for me if as you work your fingers in behind to pull the rear, top, and bottom of the cover outward to also push the cover towards the front at the same time. Once you have the cover off, you will see that the front holder has to be pushed forward to allow the other holders to snap in place. Same thing in putting it back on, you need to push the front one on first and push the cover forward as you snap the other holders in place.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Side Covers

One of the tricks I learned from this board is to take a plastic wire tie, slide the head between the bike frame and side cover and pull. The cover pops right off. Piper

·
Registered
837 Posts
I give the gromets a shot of Honda Spray. This lets the pegs slide in easy without pushing them out the back. Should also keep them from getting hard and brittle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts