GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else lost an engine side cover ??
I just noticed my right one is missing.

Anyway... I am looking to buy a new one or set .. which ever it comes in.
I looked on HDL and couldn't find one... under Kuryakyn and Show chrome...
Am I missing it, or do they not have any on the web site..
Please post a link to the page if there is one ..
Thanks

8)

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
The one that is same color as your bike ?
I lost one
it cost about 200 bucks to replace if I remember correctly
small try wraps hold them on now
got the new one from local stealer I mean dealer :cry:
If you are going about 120 mph and you fell a slap on your leg check your mirrors for flying pcs. :roll:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the All Chrome one Red..
and I still can't find it on HDL web site...
That site is kickin my ass .. LOL
I did find Side Cover, but am not sure of the part number...

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Yellow Streak said:
Has anyone else lost an engine side cover ??
I just noticed my right one is missing.

Anyway... I am looking to buy a new one or set .. which ever it comes in.
I looked on HDL and couldn't find one... under Kuryakyn and Show chrome...
Am I missing it, or do they not have any on the web site..
Please post a link to the page if there is one ..
Thanks

8)
You must be looking in the wrong place on HDL. Go here and fill in the drop down boxes under Search By Parts Diagram (Fiche) to get to your year GL1800(A). Once the next page opens, pick ENGINE GUARD from the drop down. You want #06, CVR, R. ENGINE SIDE, 83511-MCA-A60. You'll probably need the rubber grommet also, #02.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok .. got it ordered.

Last night the fiche did not show up, even after changing the selection in the drop down menu.
when I went there this morning it was there.

ordered the side cover and all related grommets ....

I did not see a way to change the shipping to next day air though..
Oh well .. I guess I can ride to florida and back next week without the cover ...

Thanks for all the help..
maybe i'll see ya in FL Red 8)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tie wraps

Others have talked about the tie wraps being placed on the covers to hopefully alleviate the loss of a side cover. Not to be stupid but can someone explain the placement of the tie wraps on the covers....do they go on the covers or the rubber grommets? And are we talking tie wraps that are normally used to secure wiring on the bike or garbage type wire ties? Again not being stupid just trying to understand the method used to help secure the cover and maybe save a couple hundred dollars to replace a lost cover. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Apologies for reviving an apparently dead thread but I took the oil side cover off the GL today for the first time (just took delivery yesterday) and noticed that the rear grommet was missing. Double-checked to make sure it hadn't fallen onto the garage floor or down into the frame.

On a side note, it was a b*tch getting the oil cover back on.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I've had grommets come out after taking side covers off a few times. Bought a new set and used very small cable ties to hold the grommets in place.

Now if you can explain how a passenger floorboard pad or the pouch that came with our Utopia fell off and got lost off while my wife was on back I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
twyn said:
I've had grommets come out after taking side covers off a few times. Bought a new set and used very small cable ties to hold the grommets in place.

Now if you can explain how a passenger floorboard pad or the pouch that came with our Utopia fell off and got lost off while my wife was on back I'd appreciate it.
HEY I have enough trouble with my own SO I aint getting in trouble with yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....chuck

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chuck,
She is pulling the floorboard pad loose when she gets on..Stepping on and twisting her foot to get on the bike.I never lost one but couldn't figure out how the pad was always half torn off.
I make her face more forward before she steps up now and it seems to have stopped the problem.
I'll bet it was the left one?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
DrtiBird said:
If you will rub a little saliva on the grommets before trying to replace the covers, they go on much easier w/o loosing the grommets. :wink:
For some reason, I read this and had a flashback to a scene in Brokeback Mountain. But hey, if it worked for Jake Gyllenhaal, I'm sure it'll work for the grommets. Thanks for the tip.

:wink:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Reading how a side cover was lost made me think of a trip I made earlier this year. About 20 of us went on a ride down to Ft. Lauderdale from Tampa. Bikes of all makes and models. About 45 minutes into the ride, I feel something bumping my left leg. It was my engine cover! I pull over with the chase truck and the tail bike (a brand new HD ultra) to fix it. I got it back on, but it didn't feel right, still kinda loose (I didn't have it set properly in the bottom grommet). When we got to our breakfast stop, the Ultra rider walks up to me and says, "I won't say anything about parts falling off your bike if you don't". We all had a good laugh at breakfast with that one. Good to have friends that ride everything and anything that all have a sense of humor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Grommets

I spent some time today lock-tying all the rubber grommets in place on both sides of the bike. It's the first time I've had all four side covers off (I've only had her for about 8 weeks), and three of the grommets were completely missing. Not happy about that, but I think I have the solution.

Thanks to twyn for the suggestion.

:p

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
TowJam said:
Apologies for reviving an apparently dead thread but I took the oil side cover off the GL today for the first time (just took delivery yesterday) and noticed that the rear grommet was missing. Double-checked to make sure it hadn't fallen onto the garage floor or down into the frame.
On a side note, it was a b*tch getting the oil cover back on.
Also, LOOK at the "finish" on the little "posts" that stick up from the side covers
... (those things that look like mutilated circumcised you know whats).
:roll:

On half the ones I checked the cast marks were not clean ... there were large (relatively) "chunks" of plastic sticking up from the seams.
Instead of slipping into the grommets they were "sawing" their way in.

I took a small file to all of them and erased ALL the casting marks.
Seems to have helped quite a bit.

After reading all the good info on this web site, I had put the tie-wraps on the first time I had the covers off.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
05wingrider said:
Chuck,
She is pulling the floorboard pad loose when she gets on..Stepping on and twisting her foot to get on the bike.I never lost one but couldn't figure out how the pad was always half torn off.
I make her face more forward before she steps up now and it seems to have stopped the problem.
I'll bet it was the left one?

You are right !!!!!!!!!!!! left side all the time as i remember it..OOOOHHHH NNOOOO now I have to RETRAIN HER :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ..CHUCK

1 - 20 of 21 Posts