GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 GL1800.

Just drained the radiator fluid and replaced with engine ice m/c radiator fluid.

Started the bike and as soon as it has warmed up a little, I get this terrible squealing sound coming from the front of the bike.

Squeal dissapears when you excelerate. IE its mainly from 800- 1500 RPM.

Sounds like a bearing or something.

Any ideas?
Thx

·
Vendor
18,400 Posts
Hummm ... are your fan belts tight ... just kidding:) Is the noise associated with your fans coming on? Why did you go to the type of coolant you went to?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I decided to use Engine Ice as it is formulated for motorcycles and was recommended by WingStuff.

I have never heard this noise before. ( Possibly due to playing my stereo too loud). The only thing that I did was drain the radiator fluids, flushed with distilled water, drained again and then filled with engine ice radiator fluid.

The squeal only happens at low RPM and goes away when I accelerate. The sound dissapears at 1500 RPM.

Sounds like a bearing going out. Sounds like its coming from the middle of the bike.

Im praying that its not the water pump. And if it is, I'm wondering why would it start to make a noise now and not earlier?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Barry

·
Vendor
18,400 Posts
Not sure why it make noise now and not before. Is Engine Ice compatable with what Honda requires? You can check in your owners manual. It will tell you what is required.

Like Techdude said ... is it coming from front or rear, left of right?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,536 Posts
I thought he meant middle, as in left and right middle. If it is coming from the middle of the bike front to rear, then that is the rear of the engine and probably is the water pump. Did you burp the system correctly, maybe it has a big air bubble stuck and it's making the system struggle to circulate. :shrug:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Depending on the year, it could be the alt drive nut. It makes a growling sound from idle to aroung 1600 rpms. Repair requires engine removal. it occours mainly 0n 2001-2005 models I believe. There was a change after 2005.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is on a 2001 GL1800 with 106,000 miles.

The noise is a high pitched squeal.

Its hard to make out where its coming from. The noise increases in pitch and loudness as you accelerate from 800 rpm to 1400 rpm and then dissapears.

When the bike is cold, there is no noise, but as soon as the temp climbs to regular operating level (IE half way on the guage) the squeal begins. It usually takes about 5 minutes to reach this point from when cold.

The engine ice radiator fluid is formulated for motorcycles and is sold by many Goldwing stores including wingstuff http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/814_antifeeze_coolant , so I assume its good for goldwings.

Thanks for all your comments and ideas. keep em coming.

Barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts