GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when I tried to start the engine it acted like the kick stand was down, had power but engine would not kick over. However the kick stand was up, and I also had the bike on the center stand. After checking the fob, the emergency off switch, being puzzled, and staring at the bike, I then noticed two icons on the lower portion of the instrument panel. I will attempt to download the photo, but it was start icon + brake lever icon. So I held the brake lever in while hitting the start button and it fired up. This was new to me. Now I would like to know what happened.

It should be noted that I have a 2019 DCT Tour.

My only assumption is I shut it down last night while still in Drive? And holding the brake lever in corrected this issue?

Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Page 27 of the manual explains...

Explanation:

"Appears when pressing the start button without the brake applied with the transmission in gear"

Remedy:

"Before pressing the start button, put the gear to neutral or apply the brake lever."

I would think it was related to being in gear when you shut down.

·
Registered
2019 GL1800
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did not run across page 27 when I pursued the manual. I am glad it is a normal issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My '18 DCT Tour has that parking brake thingy because the transmission defaults to neutral when the engine is shut down. Keeps the bike from rolling down the driveway unattended after I dismount. Does the '19 DCT stay in gear when you shut down?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't put my bike in gear without the engine running, I've tried. I have also left it in gear and turned it off, it automatically goes to neutral. How odd.

Reactions: MTShipp

·
Registered
410 Posts
"My '18 DCT Tour has that parking brake thingy because the transmission defaults to neutral when the engine is shut down. Keeps the bike from rolling down the driveway unattended after I dismount. Does the '19 DCT stay in gear when you shut down?"

"I can't put my bike in gear without the engine running, I've tried. I have also left it in gear and turned it off, it automatically goes to neutral. How odd."

While I have accidentally turned mine off while in gear and not had a problem some have reported that it stays in or hangs up in gear. That's why there is a procedure for dealing with it. It happens, just not very often.

The DCT can still roll if in gear as the clutches are engaged by oil pressure, Once shut off the clutches disengage. That's why it has a parking brake.

·
Registered
930 Posts
This morning when I tried to start the engine it acted like the kick stand was down, had power but engine would not kick over. However the kick stand was up, and I also had the bike on the center stand. After checking the fob, the emergency off switch, being puzzled, and staring at the bike, I then noticed two icons on the lower portion of the instrument panel. I will attempt to download the photo, but it was start icon + brake lever icon. So I held the brake lever in while hitting the start button and it fired up. This was new to me. Now I would like to know what happened.

My only assumption is I shut it down last night while still in Drive? And holding the brake lever in corrected this issue?

I have never had to hold the brake to start it.
There are 3 ways to start the DCT.

1. Turn the center switch to power up the bike. Hit the starter switch.
2. Hold down the starter switch for 2 seconds then release to power up the bike. Hit the starter switch.
3. Hold the front brake lever while pushing down on the starter switch and the bike will power up and start simultaneously.

Using any one of these options will start the bike provided the bike was in neutral when shut down the previous time.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts

This is also mentioned the discussion on page 171.

Seems like although it is supposed to take itself out of gear if shut off when not in N, they did list steps to take to start in case it does not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts