GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while my 04 gl1800 wing stops running when I stop after riding it for a while. Any one experience this and if so why is it happening? I am able to restart with no problems and it is just a small annoyance. Just hope it is not leading to a bigger problem.

·
Registered
466 Posts
engine stops at stops

I had a similar problem at stopping, turns out the battery connections at the battery were loose. Cleaned and tightened them up and problem went away. Can't hurt to check those first.
The brake lights draw a lot of power and could cause ignition problem with low voltage.

Billy:?:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good place to start. Hopefully that does it.
Thanks

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Does the idle surge or go very low before it dies, act funny? Yes Kit you dummy it dies.....I mean before that. Lol!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It idles just fine most of the time. It just quits running once in while. I have good acceleration and when I take off I have no hesitation either.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
My 03 used to do it once in a while to but has not in the last 4 or 5 years I am not sure but i think with mine it was a loose tip sensor switch held on by a couple of srews under the right side of the top shelter the tip sensor is for when the bike falls over it stops the engine :thumbup:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 03 used to do it once in a while to but has not in the last 4 or 5 years I am not sure but i think with mine it was a loose tip sensor switch held on by a couple of srews under the right side of the top shelter the tip sensor is for when the bike falls over it stops the engine :thumbup:
Would that kill your engine in the twisties too?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It idles just fine most of the time. It just quits running once in while. I have good acceleration and when I take off I have no hesitation either.
Well thats a good one......going to be hard to tell. The IAVC air control will make them surge and die.......not that. Does not sound like ignition or fuel. Could be the crank sensor, but they usually act up when hot. Does not sound like fuel with no hesitation.

Time to just say......I dunno.........oh tap on the kill switch see what that does.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK will check the kill switch too.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
Dont think so techdude where are you :lol: :thumbup:
Only if you come to a complete stop while leaning more than 43 degrees from the ground. Centrifugal force causes the pendulum in it to swing away from the direction of the lean and keeps it from tripping.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I believe that after the tip sensor kills the engine, the ignition must be turned off and back on before the engine can be restarted.

Don't ask me how I know. :twisted: :roll:

gramps

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
I believe that after the tip sensor kills the engine, the ignition must be turned off and back on before the engine can be restarted.

Don't ask me how I know. :twisted: :roll:

gramps
Yep, once tripped the key must be cycled to get it going again. :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts