GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still getting use to the characteristics of the GL and the flat six... Is it normal for the engine to do a little up/down surge as you slow down for a stop? It's not enough to register much on the tach but you can definitely hear and feel it. If it's normal, why does it do this? (Or have I gotten too use to the flywheel effect of the Harley?)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My 2002 does it from time to time. I don't worry much about it.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
TowJam said:
Is it normal for the engine to do a little up/down surge as you slow down for a stop? It's not enough to register much on the tach
I would hesitate to call this a surge - that would be a lot more RPM variation, like in the hundreds of RPM. This engine is computer controlled. It takes a bit for the engine to read all the sensors and adjust the air/fuel ratio. Sometimes it hunts a bit for just the right mixture for idle. I think they all do this.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I read an article by Stu Oltman in Wing World related to RPM surging in some 1800's. Before I read it, I hadn't even noticed that my bike will do it under the right conditions. After it is well warmed up, if I try to hold the RPM at 1200 to 1400 in neutral, it will surge about 100 RPM. I don't worry about it, the bike runs beautifully and I'd rather ride than worry about quirks that I have to look for so hard.

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
My '06 does the same thing. It annoys the heck out of me. You can't depend on engine braking. It's not normal for the 1800's to do this. I think they have leaned the new Wings out too much. Mine is so bad I thought the clutch was actually releasing when I let off of the throttle. :(

I've had a few 18's is the reason I say it's not normal and the bike is too lean. My mileage on this '06 is about 45mpg which is much better than any of my previous 18's. I have a little over 3,000 miles on this one.

I'll be looking for the problem, but I have to get rid of the damn wobble first. If I don't get rid of the wobble soon the bike will be gone anyway! :?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I have not heard anything different about '06 or '07 models in this regard; but with previous year models the slow idle "hysteresis" (RRRR-rrrr-RRRR-rrrr....) can typically be remediated by starting the bike when completely cold, keeping hands totally away from throttle, and leaving the bike alone, ideling until completely warmend-up. When I have done this it cures that problem on my bike. I let it warm-up until the temp gague reads at its sweet spot and then I give it about 5 minutes longer. Some folks wait for the cooling fans to kick on, some hardly wait at all after teh temp gague hits that plateau. This procedure sets the slow idle parametners of teh ECU. Worth a try, no harm.

I believe the problem that Mr. Oltman was investigating involved slow speed transition as the bike comes just of of idle (maybe in the 1,200 RPM area or so) is/was more of a "get used to it" proposition". In my bike its a nearly imperceptable little faulter when very slowly raising RPMS from idle as I cross the 1,200 RPM range -- sort of a very minor flat spot. It does bug me a bit now that I know about it and I notice it making acceleration out of steep dwonhill switch-backs or hair pins a little less than smooth at times. Red called my attention to that problem a couple of years ago -- thanks, I guess.

prs

·
Registered
211 Posts
Red said:
My '06 does the same thing. It annoys the heck out of me. You can't depend on engine braking. It's not normal for the 1800's to do this. I think they have leaned the new Wings out too much. Mine is so bad I thought the clutch was actually releasing when I let off of the throttle. :(

I've had a few 18's is the reason I say it's not normal and the bike is too lean. My mileage on this '06 is about 45mpg which is much better than any of my previous 18's. I have a little over 3,000 miles on this one.

I'll be looking for the problem, but I have to get rid of the damn wobble first. If I don't get rid of the wobble soon the bike will be gone anyway! :?
My 06 also hunts (not all that bad, I will explain) and I get 38MPG whether I ride it like a grandma or like I stole it.

I have found that using national brand gasoline, Shell, Mobil etc... causes less hunting than the off-named brands. My dealer states it is the 10% ethanol additive causing the problem. He stated that off-brand gas station can and do use more that the 10% ethanol over national brands, since the federal requirement is that all gasoline use a minimum of 10% ethanol.

Pete

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pigeon Roost said:
This procedure sets the slow idle parametners of teh ECU. Worth a try, no harm.
Does anyone know if the Wing's ECU is re-programmable via a flash upgrade? My last two BMWs (1200RT and 1200GS) both had issues that were addressed by upgrades to the bikes' "operating system".

Given that more and more gas stations are now using an Ethanol mix, I would think the ECU could be flashed to accommodate the fuel mixture without the annoying hunting.

G

·
0 Posts
Friend of mine (DeputyDawg) has an 05, I have an 04. His does this bad enough to irratate him, mine doesn't do it at all. I always run high octain fuel, I think he does too though. Honda told him it was something specific to the ECU and they can't correct it. last I talked to him about it, his still did it. :?

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Letting it run until the fan comes on or until it warms up without touching the throttle at all and then shutting it off does absolutely nothing. Well, besides wasting time and gas.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been doing a search on "surging" and "hunting" on this and the ridersrally board. I'm surprised at the number of owners with this issue and yet Honda hasn't produced a fix. (I haven't had a chance to try resetting the ECU yet.) On the upside, I'm relieved to know that at least this is not an anomaly with my specific bike.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
The use of higher octane fuel might lead to other troubles and waste of $.

The reset is a possible remedy for some bikes and has to be worth a try. The ECU program may be even more lean that it used to be since Honda was using an enriched idle and slow RPM range for '03s up until cooling system upgrade models as a bandaid fix or parade mode overheating. Mine is an original ECU '02 and resetting DID fix the surge -- runs strong and smooth.

prs

·
Registered
195 Posts
rpm surge

my o2 was fine until the ecm upgrade, then I would get a surge that started at 1400 rpm and would drop to 900 and back up to 1400, this was ok if you had the clutch in but if you were trying to menuver in the parking lot you looked like it was your first time to drive the bike. I put the old ecm back in and everything is fine now. mdh

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Red have you considered tapered bearings????,it worked for my 05

·
Registered
381 Posts
This is going to sound really STUPID my 01 has always done it BUT I have found a way to reduce it to near undetectable .....on my bike.

Do the ECU idle remap as Pigeon Roost stated above (i prefer to let fans come on) but do it with all of your lights on ... I hear you ask why??

I belive it puts the engine under a light load and requires a different set of ECU settings (a little richer maybe) this can be proven by turning your lights on and off at tickover and listening to the engine sound there is a change, subtle but there none the less.

I have yet to try with the pass button engaged so the highbeam comes on and loads the engine more.

Just my little input... Nigel

·
Chard Member
12,970 Posts
laen said:
Red have you considered tapered bearings????,it worked for my 05
I have a set here I ordered for my wobbling '04. LOL... I was too stubborn to put them in. I'm starting to feel the same way about this '06. :twisted:

It just crushes my acorns to think I have to do anything to a new $23k "Top of the line Tourer" to make it driveable. It just doesn't sit well with me! LOL...

The dealer offered to do it for 2 hours labor which would be $150. I told him I wasn't in the mood to stick another $15 in it right now. :? I guess I'll do it when I get in the right frame of mind. If I stay pi$$ed at the bike I'll sell it and move on to another. This isn't the first or second 1800 I've had. :oops:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Nigelf said:
This is going to sound really STUPID my 01 has always done it BUT I have found a way to reduce it to near undetectable .....on my bike.

Do the ECU idle remap as Pigeon Roost stated above (i prefer to let fans come on) but do it with all of your lights on ... I hear you ask why??

I belive it puts the engine under a light load and requires a different set of ECU settings (a little richer maybe) this can be proven by turning your lights on and off at tickover and listening to the engine sound there is a change, subtle but there none the less.

I have yet to try with the pass button engaged so the highbeam comes on and loads the engine more.

Just my little input... Nigel
On US bikes, the headlight is always on - there's no switch to turn it off. Has to do with all 50 states requiring headlights always lit on motorcycles. Does your's/all European bikes have an on/off switch for the headlight?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wanderer said:
Nigelf said:
On US bikes, the headlight is always on - there's no switch to turn it off. Has to do with all 50 states requiring headlights always lit on motorcycles. Does your's/all European bikes have an on/off switch for the headlight?
I suppose you could turn on the hi-beams, rig the stop light to stay on, plug in electric clothing... I will give it a try this weekend.

Pete

1 - 20 of 38 Posts