GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If it's the alternator whine your speaking of then this should help. This is for the 01 and 02's they corrected the problem on the 03's they will not cover this under warranty, unless you have a good dealer. It has been reported some have covered it, mine did not.

I C Noise Suppresion Sub Harness for ACG Whine
Honda P/N 32190-MCA-305 Kit
H/C 7230451
Parts Info Bulletin MP03-001

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whine I'm hearing so loudly isn't through the radio - it's outside noise. Sounds like a supercharger at low engine speed.

Does the wiring harness fix apply to that? The sound is much like you'd hear under a car hood from a serpintine belt, but louder.

Will it ever get quieter or louder?

Thanks so much for taking the time to analyze and give the info. We need to get MH to put Fred on the payroll as their remote consultant! He's simply great. (And makes a good video as well.)

Jimmie

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
HIGH PITCHED WHINE! :-(

Jim King said:
Is there an easy fix to eliminate or reduce the noise level of the engine whine?

(Perhaps Alley Kats are the only solution?)

TIA
It's the alt drive unit. :( You know what, Alley Kats didn't cover mine up. The whine from mine is still louder at idle than the Kats. When mine was new you could not run the bike inside of a garage or next to a wall. It would drive you nuts. Loudest I have heard. In 35,000 miles it has either worn in and gotten quieter or I just don't care anymore. I don't really know which! LOL...

If you really want to hear it, remove the left engine cover and take a listen. It's just another Honda UnQuality Control thing.

Again, Honda said tough sheet on the warranty repair. I didn't think I would have this POS this long or I would have pressed the issue with them back then.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If there ever is a fix I'll be first in line for it! My Wing could NEVER be too quiet for me. It is quieter than my 1200 was, but those old mufflers were shot. I'm disappointed (embarrased?) every time I'm idling next to a 1500 (or even a 1200 in top shape).

·
Registered
190 Posts
Jim you need to define the noise more clearly. Do you get the sound when the engine is running but the bike is stopped or only when the bike is rolling.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
grinds too

I get this high pitched whine too. I expect this is `normal'. Not an uncommon sound for some engine types, but my 1500SE was definitely much quieter. I expect you'all are just used to the sound ...

Engine running, no electrical on, bike stopped, sounds like a belt or internal running gear. At <2Krpm it has a bit of a rattle to it too.

I'd record it, if it could make any sense to see if we all suffer from this same problem ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like the cure isn't worth the major effort it would take to fix it. I can live with it - just didn't want to have to...

But - you saved me $400 on a set of Alley Kats. I listened to the video with sound file that MBL has on their site. And I could still detect the whine after they did the A/K install - guess I was just hoping that it was a bad sound file.

Anyway - thanks guys. At least I feel better. Now - if I could just get my bike back out of the shop - it's in there now because of it blowing the Acc fuse (which also runs the turn signals, display, and probably some other things). Naturally the dealer tech says they've never seen that problem before :) I finally got a nice 3 day weekend and no rain in site. And I'm walkin' :evil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts