GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up front, I'll tell you I'm brand new to the GL1800 world. But I just bought my new (to me) '02 with 4K miles on it last weekend. I've only got to put a few miles on it, but was a little concerned with a whining noise that is engine speed related. The sound is something like you hear from serpentine belts on automobiles.

Is this normal? Will the whine get louder, or quieter? I've ordered the manuals and will also be taking it in for a checkup before spring. The bike runs flawlessly - and otherwise quiet. But didn't want to cause any damage if this isn't normal.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yep, it sure is normal, it's the alternator drive gears that make the noise. some make more noise than others for some reason, but it's normal, don't worry about it, just enjoy the ride.

·
Young Buck
2,568 Posts
The only whining I've ever heard is from guys who want a GL1800, but their wives won't let them have one.

...Or from the HD boys who can't keep up. :twisted:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>The way to think about that whine is think: JET ENGINE <

Ah ha - I got it figured out now. I thought that was a familar sound. It's a supercharger secretly tucked away under there. Those sneaky little guys :lol:

Is that why it doesn't want to run under 70?

Nice ride this afternoon - about 100 miles around Galveston Bay area; 65 but cloudy. I didn't want to miss a good ride - winter is tomorrow :p
[/quote]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts