GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it may be my imagination, but I swear that as I was riding home this afternoon, the bike was making a high pitch whine. The sound was coming from the engine and was related to RPM, not drive train. So, when I pull in the clutch, the whine goes away as the RPM falls to idle. The pitch seems to get higher the higher the RPM.

Anything I should check?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
OK, it may be my imagination, but I swear that as I was riding home this afternoon, the bike was making a high pitch whine. The sound was coming from the engine and was related to RPM, not drive train. So, when I pull in the clutch, the whine goes away as the RPM falls to idle. The pitch seems to get higher the higher the RPM.

Anything I should check?

Is it a whine or More of a Grrrrrr
Whine ok, Grrrrr Not so Much.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More of a whine. But it just sort of came out of nowhere. I will listen to it again in the morning to see if I still notice it. I may be going crazy.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I hope it's not the Alternator damper. There are 2 noises related to the alternator damper: one is more like a knock at idle and just above, which usually goes away when the rpm is raised above 1500. The other is a whirring/high pitch whine. In either case the engine has to be removed to repair the problem. You should let a mechanic you trust do the diagnosis. It's not something you can easily troubleshoot without removing parts.

It might be cheaper if you were just crazy . . .

·
Registered
922 Posts
My 05 whines in 4th gear at about 4k, very distinctive whine, I just power through it and change gears, I have the extended warranty....

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
My 05 whines in 4th gear at about 4k, very distinctive whine, I just power through it and change gears, I have the extended warranty....
My 06 whines in 5th gear so loud that I don't even have to look for the OD light. Goes away at about 65. Loudest at 50mph. Mobil 1 15/50 quietened it some, but still loud.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I'd guess that's your alternator. I've noticed it more when I'm riding in a tailwind because the wind noise isn't as pronounced. My 08 whined from new, I think it's normal. My friends 04 also whines too.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
check your ears?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Only heard this sound once on a big trip middle of nowhere :rolleyes: but had no problems with the bike i think its something to do with the wind speed and direction its blowing

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Whine

Whine

Anything I should check?
Have you tried Bitch slapping it yet?
(sorry, I had to say it.)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just tell the bike to shut-up, you will ride it hard later...

·
Misinformed Member
2,272 Posts
Since this thread has already gone bad.......

Just add a little of this then you will enjoy the whine:lol:

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I think I must be crazy because I rode her this morning and did not notice any whining. She just purred along perfectly.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Well, I think I must be crazy because I rode her this morning and did not notice any whining. She just purred along perfectly.

She Might not have liked the Road you were on or that last tank of Gas. :thumbup:

Or the way you were riding her.

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
I had the same problem once on an 03 GL1800. The whine started at a lower RPM like about 1500 or so. On some days ,it was not so noticeable, on other days it was really bad and as time went on it got pretty annoying. Finally the bike was taken to a large Honda dealership where there was an 1800 mechanic. He tried changing alternator bearings to no avail. To make a very long story short, 5 months later and $6800 worth of gears and labor, it was finally fixed. Nobody at the shop or the local Honda representative could ever lay the blame on a particular part or if they did, they never admitted it. I can only hope that the problem you have is not the same. To the dealers credit, the engine was torn down 3 times in 5 months and when it was finally declared fixed, I dreaded even seeing what the bike would look like after all that. Every screw and every piece of plastic was replaced properly and not one single scratch on anything. And the bike is performing perfectly ever since.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just picked up a new 09 and noticed the same high pitch whine at lower speeds. I just attributed it to the alternator and haven't worried about it. :shrug:

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
I had the same problem once on an 03 GL1800. The whine started at a lower RPM like about 1500 or so. On some days ,it was not so noticeable, on other days it was really bad and as time went on it got pretty annoying. Finally the bike was taken to a large Honda dealership where there was an 1800 mechanic. He tried changing alternator bearings to no avail. To make a very long story short, 5 months later and $6800 worth of gears and labor, it was finally fixed. Nobody at the shop or the local Honda representative could ever lay the blame on a particular part or if they did, they never admitted it. I can only hope that the problem you have is not the same. To the dealers credit, the engine was torn down 3 times in 5 months and when it was finally declared fixed, I dreaded even seeing what the bike would look like after all that. Every screw and every piece of plastic was replaced properly and not one single scratch on anything. And the bike is performing perfectly ever since.
At least you should bring that Honda dealership some donuts for coffee. Having a dealership tear down and reassemble the engine 3 times in 5 months without a scratch and everything working is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
At least you should bring that Honda dealership some donuts for coffee. Having a dealership tear down and reassemble the engine 3 times in 5 months without a scratch and everything working is pretty amazing.
5 Months??????
That's Ridiculous
This is not the first time I heard about a Bike or a car being in a shop for Months on end.
Well we had other jobs we had come in that needed to get out.
I don't care. Mine was in there first. Fix it. or give me a new one.
Another reason I didn't take mine in when it acted up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts