GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack 3turtles thread but 'Daycruiser' and his 'hand grenade' comment prompted a little research into the concept of listening to one 'Tire Engineer and taking his 'advice' as gospel.

As Murgie pointed out on the thread, Engineers dont always get it right. Thomas Andrews anyone? A certain big ship? How about Henry Smolinski and Hal Blake? Two Engineers who died in their 'Flying Ford Pinto'?

TOP 20 ENGINEERS' TERMINOLOGIES
1. A NUMBER OF DIFFERENT APPROACHES ARE BEING TRIED - We are still pissing in the wind.
2. EXTENSIVE REPORT IS BEING PREPARED ON A FRESH APPROACH TO THE PROBLEM - We just hired three kids fresh out of college.
3. CLOSE PROJECT COORDINATION - We know who to blame.
4. MAJOR TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGH - It works OK, but looks very hi-tech.
5. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION IS DELIVERED ASSURED - We are so far behind schedule the customer is happy to get it delivered.
6. PRELIMINARY OPERATIONAL TESTS WERE INCONCLUSIVE - The darn thing blew up when we threw the switch.
7. TEST RESULTS WERE EXTREMELY GRATIFYING - We are so surprised that the stupid thing works.
8. THE ENTIRE CONCEPT WILL HAVE TO BE ABANDONED - The only person who understood the thing quit.
9. IT IS IN THE PROCESS - It is so wrapped up in red tape that the situation is about hopeless.
10. WE WILL LOOK INTO IT - Forget it! We have enough problems for now.
11. PLEASE NOTE AND INITIAL - Let's spread the responsibility for the screw up.
12. GIVE US THE BENEFIT OF YOUR THINKING - We'll listen to what you have to say as long as it doesn't interfere with what we've already done.
13. GIVE US YOUR INTERPRETATION - I can't wait to hear this bull!
14. SEE ME or LET'S DISCUSS - Come into my office, I'm lonely.
15. ALL NEW - Parts not interchangeable with the previous design.
16. RUGGED - Too damn heavy to lift!
17. LIGHTWEIGHT - Lighter than RUGGED.
18. YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT - One finally worked.
19. ENERGY SAVING - Achieved when the power switch is off.
20. LOW MAINTENANCE - Impossible to fix if broken.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
:yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1::yes1:
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Bigger profit for tire manufacturers on motorcycle tires.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
"If Harley made an airplane, would you fly in it?"

:joke:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

I am sure it would leak! I used to work at the Engin plant in Tomahawk, WI and I know why they leak!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts

I visited the Airplane museum at Oshkosh, WI. a few years ago, and they had a very old airplane there, that someone had placed a "Harley" engine in the plane for the power unit, and they also had d drip pan under the engine, to catch the oil leaking out of the engine. I would be willing to bet that an engineer had something to do with placing that engine in the plane.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I suppose used to a Car Tire cost less than Motorcycle tires. Car tires still cost less than a Motorcycle tire, the regular bias ply ones. Some still run them with good results. I have a friend who still uses a regular tire and runs it at 40 psi. I think I have him corrupted now though, next one he will try a run flat.

However most of us have went to the Run Flat for the much better handling it gives us. And the safety aspect and benefits that go along with that.

Having now purchased 4 run flats of various brands, I can pretty much assure you they equal or exceed the price of a round tire.

But for the peace of mind I would pay twice the amount.

Just that cheaper is not so true anymore.

Kit

·
Registered
374 Posts
Besides..every HD rider..past or present..knows HDs don't leak oil..they merely mark their territory.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

I have had more engine failures in airplanes using airplane engines than I ever have in a airplane with a Harley engine !! And that my friend is fact !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Back when I was an engineer just out of school; a very wise mentor of mine told me I should always look at my designs (and life) this way:

"If it doesn't work, I'll always think it should have!"

I have always tried to use this bit of philosophy in every decision I have made in my life. So far I regret very few!

After getting bored with bending metal, I decided to use my engineering background where it could be of more use. I am now working on the ultimate machine: The Human Body!

I am now a Surgical Assistant (thus the screen name); and take great delight in reminding the egotistical doctors I work with that they are nothing more than Maytag repairman and would never be smart enough to design the machine they try to repair :lol:

Some hate me for rubbing their nose in this all the time:wrong:, but when things get deep, they always ask that I be sent to their OR suite (when no other surgeon is available).

A CT on a motorcycle? HELL YES, physics says it will work, and a run flat just clinches the discussion.

For what it's worth, the dark side is a decision made, just waiting for personal surgical recovery (back surgery) to allow me to get the wheels off and new tires on.

Just my humble opinion :shrug:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts