GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have changed before I left home but just didn't think I'd be wearing out the sides before the center. I'm in Gatlinburg, need to get back to Dallas.

Need about 1200 more miles out of this tire with about 200 in twisties.

Will it make it?

Or...Anyone around Gatlinburg with a P1 or SnowControl that would let me have it and order you a replacement?

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ps... center tread is fine, it is at least a 32nd away from wear bars. Just worried about the edges.

·
Registered
634 Posts
--

What's the matter with the edges? I can't see that 1200 miles would be a problem.

--

·
IronMan
17,090 Posts
Ps... center tread is fine, it is at least a 32nd away from wear bars. Just worried about the edges.
wouldn't worry till cords are showing Arkansas roads ate it up

Attachments

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
--

What's the matter with the edges? I can't see that 1200 miles would be a problem.

--
There really isn't any edge left. Compare to a pic of a new P1 and it's probably more apparent. It's not to the cords, but all the shoulder tread is gone.

Even so. It's probably plenty to get me home if I skip the twisty sections and just ride home.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Just a theory but if you run the pressure up above what you are running and change the contact patch, you would probably be okay. Good choice on the P1. I like them a lot.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Ride that tire, do the twisties. It has plenty!

My opinion, your choice.

:thumbup:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,419 Posts
Like someone else said, the cords aren't showing. :wink2:

I would probably avoid any more twisty riding, put a little more air in it and ride it straight home. I've worn the P1 down on the edges a little more than that. But I really can't say how far that was?

Also, I do have a couple of SnowControls on rims ready to go if you get too nervous about the tire getting you home.:thumbup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Carefully ride and go see Monk. Take no chances with tire worn like that, could easily get punctured by rock or what ever.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Looks like plenty of tread in the middle that could get you home if you skip twisties. Drive like a grandpa in curves and you will make it. lol
Careful if you lean any in the curves if it is raining.

Isn't that edge close to where the sidewall gets thicker for runflats?

There isn't much tread on the very last edge of a P1 to begin with. I wore one down at that edge in the mountains on the Tucson etc trip but not as bad as yours.

I have an unmounted new P1 here in case you want to go that route.

Also a Snow Control with plenty of edge left and has 8800miles on it. FREE.
It would have to come off the rim though since it is my powder coated one. I didn't like it unless i had 34psi or more in it but the center wore more.

Looks like that bad word "rain" all day here tomorrow and only place open later on Saturday and then Sunday to change a tire would be Wally World. I have never tried them yet so i don't know about them.

I just found out a couple of months ago a guy i know 2miles from me that has a homemade changer and uses NoMar tools that might change them out if he is home. He just changed my front tire about 3 weeks ago before our Niagara trip.

I don't know when you need to get back home and that might make your final decision on this.
I can send him a text if you let me know if and when you might head this way.

I am a little out of the way in Schnellville,IN. About 355 miles to get here. Then 820 to Dallas.
About 1175 miles vs about 885.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. Rode home yesterday without incident. Was a rainy day so we skipped the twisty parts and did interstate home.

I got close to 10K on that one. I should have changed before I left but it still had 6/32nds of tread left after 6K miles in the middle so I thought it had life. Didn't think to check the edge wear. Living in Texas and far from twisty roads, I am not used to wearing out the edges before the middle.

Guess I had more fun on that tire than normal. :)

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like plenty of tread in the middle that could get you home if you skip twisties. Drive like a grandpa in curves and you will make it. lol
Careful if you lean any in the curves if it is raining.

Isn't that edge close to where the sidewall gets thicker for runflats?

There isn't much tread on the very last edge of a P1 to begin with. I wore one down at that edge in the mountains on the Tucson etc trip but not as bad as yours.

I have an unmounted new P1 here in case you want to go that route.

Also a Snow Control with plenty of edge left and has 8800miles on it. FREE.
It would have to come off the rim though since it is my powder coated one. I didn't like it unless i had 34psi or more in it but the center wore more.

Looks like that bad word "rain" all day here tomorrow and only place open later on Saturday and then Sunday to change a tire would be Wally World. I have never tried them yet so i don't know about them.

I just found out a couple of months ago a guy i know 2miles from me that has a homemade changer and uses NoMar tools that might change them out if he is home. He just changed my front tire about 3 weeks ago before our Niagara trip.

I don't know when you need to get back home and that might make your final decision on this.
I can send him a text if you let me know if and when you might head this way.

I am a little out of the way in Schnellville,IN. About 355 miles to get here. Then 820 to Dallas.
About 1175 miles vs about 885.
Thanks for the offer. I decided it was fine for Interstate and just rode I40 / I30 home. We got some rain but the tire did fine. I just took it easy in the corners.

I'm still not to the wear bars on the tread marker.

Thx again for the offer.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like someone else said, the cords aren't showing. :wink2:

I would probably avoid any more twisty riding, put a little more air in it and ride it straight home. I've worn the P1 down on the edges a little more than that. But I really can't say how far that was?

Also, I do have a couple of SnowControls on rims ready to go if you get too nervous about the tire getting you home.
Thanks for the offer. I need to put a new one on and come see you.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Thanks all. Rode home yesterday without incident. Was a rainy day so we skipped the twisty parts and did interstate home.

I got close to 10K on that one. I should have changed before I left but it still had 6/32nds of tread left after 6K miles in the middle so I thought it had life. Didn't think to check the edge wear. Living in Texas and far from twisty roads, I am not used to wearing out the edges before the middle.

Guess I had more fun on that tire than normal. :)
Just curious, what's the tire look like now?

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just curious, what's the tire look like now?
Almost the same...

Guess I could leave it on for a couple thousand more. :)

Kidding...It's done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts