GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Enter The Dragon" 2007
318 curves in 11 miles of highway!

Denver, CO to Deals Gap, NC
1407 Miles of ride followed by shear pleasure and fellowship.

Map it on MapQuest
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main ... &1qc=Parks

Saturday May 12'th - Ride begins from Denver Red-Rocks Park (Adjustable at this point) with the ride continuing to Salina, KS.
Stay-Over hotels include the Country Inn & Suites, Budget 8 Motel (Which actually impressed me during the New Years ice storm. No it's not 5 star by any means
but the bed slept better than I expected!! :)

Sunday May 13'th - Salina, KS to Saint Louis, MO for stay-over (undetermined hotel)

Monday May 14th - Saint Louis to Nashville, TN for stay-over at the (undetermined hotel)

Tuesday May 15'th - Nashville to Deals Gap, NC for stay-over at the (undetermined hotel)

Wednesday May-16th - Deals Gap - Ride the Gap & explore the area and shops.
http://www.dealsgap.com/motel.htm

Thursday May-17'th - Head Home!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Ed,

Looks like a nice slow pleasant ride. Getting there is half the fun.
Good Luck.

................................Can I go with you. :)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yep, I checked that map route and it looks like it's a nice straight route.
That's important, as you'll want to ride as straight as possible till you hit the Dragon.
You're gonna need to save all that side rubber for when you get there. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ed,

Not sure what your are expecting at deals Gap, but is really just a store/souvenir shop/ restaurant. On weekends that can literally be 1000+ bikes there. Good place to rest and shoot the bull but not much else. They do have gas but sometimes the line is very long. Fontana dam is cool. Its the highest dam east of the Mississippi. Just about 10 miles from the gap. You wil pass at least 6 dams on this trip.

Check out Joyce Kilmer national forest just a few miles down 129 from Deals Gap. He was a soldier and poet killed in WWI. " I think I will never see a poem a lovely as a tree" You know the one. Beautiful little park about 10-15 miles from the gap. The Cheriholla Skw is also worth the trip. It connects Robbinsville, NC with Tellico Planes, TN. Beautiful ride and kinda like the Blue Ridge Pkw. Many good bike stops/restaurants along the way when you get into Tellico. Be sure and stop at Bold River falls also, right off the skyway.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
ED
Give me a shout when you get out here maybe we can ride a little together. I have ridden a lot of the roads around here and maybe i could show you some places you would like.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As the date gets closer, maybe the Goldwing group in Salina Kansas could put together a little hospitality welcome for you and your riders? I'll keep an eye on this topic.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Might I suggest that you check out the Two Wheel Inn in Robbinsville. I stayed there last year in May and it was a really nice place. They have a garage to put your Bike in at night and the rates are very good. The place is really very clean and fairly new. The owners are super nice also. You can find a link to it on the Tail of the Dragon.com. They even supply towels so you can wash your Bike after a day of riding.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Rode the dragon today seen maybe 10 bikes. They are sure enlarging the store. Getting for you folks in 2007.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ed if you get the chance take Wimpy up on his offer . He was kind enough to show us around last year . The Dragon was fun but the roads Wimpy and Rick took us were the best !!!! It was the highlight of our trip back east last year .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Ride..

All the info sounds great guys... Wimpy.. I'll be there! Waiting on this snow to go away around here so I can ger her out again. I've got to drive (a Car) to Wichita and Omaha this week.. Man do I need the weather to change so I could do it on two wheels!
I don't expect anything at the gap other than curves!! All extras are the bonus! I grew up in the country 45 miles east of Charlotte, NC so if it's just corn fields and hills that will be fine... I'm in for the ride!
I will check into that hotel (especialy if the other one is full).. :)
I'm looking for trip pictures and videos guys. If you have any from trips let me know. I want to get a site built by the spring ( http://www.cyclesynth.com ) and I'm gathering info, mods on bikes (photos are very helpful) pictures of bike trailers, video clips of rides and all that lovely stuff.
The site is nothing to what I'm working on... but it is one step at a time and I do need info!
I'm going to Big Dog Motorcycle in Wichita and get a small photo shoot for a small spot on the Customs page.
I think Customs are nice and many bikes are; But as for me... I pick the Wing!!
Colorado_Ed!!
Ride Safe!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: The Ride..

Colorado_Ed said:
All the info sounds great guys... Wimpy.. I'll be there! Waiting on this snow to go away around here so I can ger her out again. I've got to drive (a Car) to Wichita and Omaha this week.. Man do I need the weather to change so I could do it on two wheels!
I don't expect anything at the gap other than curves!! All extras are the bonus! I grew up in the country 45 miles east of Charlotte, NC so if it's just corn fields and hills that will be fine... I'm in for the ride!
I will check into that hotel (especialy if the other one is full).. :)
I'm looking for trip pictures and videos guys. If you have any from trips let me know. I want to get a site built by the spring ( http://www.cyclesynth.com ) and I'm gathering info, mods on bikes (photos are very helpful) pictures of bike trailers, video clips of rides and all that lovely stuff.
The site is nothing to what I'm working on... but it is one step at a time and I do need info!
I'm going to Big Dog Motorcycle in Wichita and get a small photo shoot for a small spot on the Customs page.
I think Customs are nice and many bikes are; But as for me... I pick the Wing!!
Colorado_Ed!!
Ride Safe!
You'll like Big Dog; make sure they take you to the warehouse that has all the bikes that are ready to be shipped. Imagine a enclosed football field that is covered with brand new custom motorcycles :lol:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Hey Ed,

Before you go to that area, may I suggest that you purchase a map of the Southern Appalachian Mountains from MadMaps.com.

This map shows different road loops highlighted in different colors with short descriptions of each loop. These roads were recommended by local motorcyclists as being the best in the area. Inexpensive and it's worth its weight in gold. You wouldn't be able to find these roads if you went there without it.

Have fun and enjoy them.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts