GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the entry lights do not work at times when approaching the bike with the fob. Seems to be related to not running the engine for a while but not positive that is related...any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've encountered this often too. I believe it's related to the fob losing comm. with the bike as in it's sat for a few days without comm. Once comm. is reacquired it works great.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I also have similar issue - I think I have noticed that they come on initially but if I don't turn on bike, it seems that after they have come on when FOB was nearby, they don't come on again when approaching with fob later. Unsure about this too. Something hinky here...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have not noticed that myself. I live in southern AZ and ride often....I'll have to watch that.
You can turn your fob off though. Are you doing that? If so, it will not trigger the bike, you would need to turn the fob back on.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I suspect that the receiver circuit may shut down after long periods of no activity to preserve the bikes battery.
I think you are on to something - the fob hasn't lost communication because the bike will start every time. I also think that the sensor for the lights becomes disabled after turning on (the entry lights) and timing out with no engine start up. Again, not certain about this as it does work most of the time as expected.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I turned my fob off last night as a test. When I turned it back on this morning and walked up to the bike, the lights did not come on the first time. They did after the bike was started once.
Interesting. I'm going to try that again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Does anyone know why the entry lights do not work at times when approaching the bike with the fob. Seems to be related to not running the engine for a while but not positive that is related...any ideas?
I think I have figured it out.

I have a key rack just inside the entry door from my garage. I normally park my motorcycle near the garage door, not the entry door, however, I've been working on a big project and moved my Goldwing closer to the entry door. I grabbed my key the other morning and as I approached the bike nothing happened....nothing. The bags would open and the bike turned on when I turned the knob, but no puddle lights or ignition switch light. Hmmm...why is that?

I figured it out. The key was in-range of the bike the entire time and doesn't "trigger" the welcome lights when it stays in range. See if this is happening to you. My fob seems to have a pretty healthy range in all directions and I've noticed this behavior if I don't get the fob out of range.

Let me know if this solves the mystery for you.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If the fob is turned off would you still have the same issue? I keep fob about 15-20’ from the bike but turned off. I turned it on and approached the bike but the ignition wakeup white ring nor the puddle lights came on. If I hit the button on the fob then the lights come on.

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
If the fob is turned off would you still have the same issue? I keep fob about 15-20’ from the bike but turned off. I turned it on and approached the bike but the ignition wakeup white ring nor the puddle lights came on. If I hit the button on the fob then the lights come on.
Keeping the receiver circuit on the bike running all the time would eventually drain the battery, so Honda shuts it off after a programmed time period. If you turn the key or push a button on the FOB it wakes the bike up and the receiver turns back on.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If I turn my key on, and approach the bike shouldn't the ignition ring light up white? I cannot figure out what actually makes this happen. If I have my key in hand and push the Logo portion I get the 3 blinking lights but the white ring does not wake up. It will if I push the button which makes the lights flash. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I cycled the ignition “ON” an then turned it off. The ring (and entry lights) did illuminate upon powering down.

When I reproached the bike after a few minutes the ring did illuminate as well as the entry (perimeter-puddle lighting). I did this several times and the lighting consistently illuminated. I guess there is a circuit that will “time out” and has to be re-energized for the perimeter and ignition ring to light upon approach with the fob powered on. However the bags can be opened regardless of whether the ignition ring is illuminated as long as the key is on and in range.

·
Vendor
22,059 Posts
I cycled the ignition “ON” an then turned it off. The ring (and entry lights) did illuminate upon powering down.

When I reproached the bike after a few minutes the ring did illuminate as well as the entry (perimeter-puddle lighting). I did this several times and the lighting consistently illuminated. I guess there is a circuit that will “time out” and has to be re-energized for the perimeter and ignition ring to light upon approach with the fob powered on. However the bags can be opened regardless of whether the ignition ring is illuminated as long as the key is on and in range.
The circuit that times out is the receiver/transmitter circuit in the Smart Control Unit in the bike. It powers off to save the bikes battery, and once it does, the bike can no longer sense that the FOB is near. The reason the saddlebags still open is because when you press the button, it wakes up the receiver, and then the bike transmits a signal to the FOB asking for authorization, and then the FOB responds back with its authorization code. All this happens in micro-seconds, so you don't notice the delay. The act of you pressing the button caused the circuit to wake up and begin the transmit/receive process.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thanks Fred. Great explanation. I followed your videos taking all the bikes bodywork off to install the perimeter lights, Honda 12v socket, and replace my forward seat brackets that the seat bolts go into. (Stripped). Without the videos it would have been impossible. I highly recommend the videos to anyone working on their bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts