GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have the fancy Ergo II footpegs, have you done the update kit, the Kuryakyn 4080 ERGOIII update? It supposedly lets you stretch out a bit, up to four inches, while riding. And the pegs will retract when you take the foot pressure off.

anybody try these yet? You can find them on EBAY. Just search for ERGO III update kit

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not yet, but looking forward to opinions on how they function and cost involved. Post your findings if you get any. Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If I had a desire to make my Ergo II's work more like Mick-O-Pegs, I'd replace them with MOP. Adding a Rube Goldberg contraption onto the Ergo base (which is a safety hazard itself) just doesn't work for me. Besides I have absolutely no desire to ever add any more Kuryakyn temporary chrome pieces.

John

·
Registered
460 Posts
To jlkeene

EXACTLY my sentiments. Thanks for posting.

Ed

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
If I had a desire to make my Ergo II's work more like Mick-O-Pegs, I'd replace them with MOP. Adding a Rube Goldberg contraption onto the Ergo base (which is a safety hazard itself) just doesn't work for me. Besides I have absolutely no desire to ever add any more Kuryakyn temporary chrome pieces.

John
I will NEVER mount highway pegs onto the horizontal lower bar. I have seen too many accidents where pegs mounted to the lower bar hit the pavement and sent a rider off the road. I want to maximize the lean angle available to me in the event I need that extra little bit. I wouldn't buy a Kuryakyn product unless it was powdercoated. I've never had much luck with their chrome.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so......after all that.....anybody tried these yet?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
There is no way that a reasonably responsible rider could ever get in an accident because of the Ergo II pegs. Many horizontal mount arms do go straight out, making them potentially dangerous, but the Ergo II should not be compared against those designs. The mounts are intentionally tilted upward, increasing clearance dramatically.

When you hit those feelers on your main pegs, that is your bike's way of telling you that you have reached the bike's design limit. You can actually go much farther than that before the Ergo II mounts would hit, and would already be dangerously close to scraping other hard parts anyway. Anyone who wrecks because of those arms hitting the pavement wrecked because of his own recklessness, not because of the Ergo II highway pegs. People need to start taking responsibility for their own actions instead of always looking for something else to blame.

Off the soapbox, I really don't see what there is to gain by the Ergo III upgrade. From what I can tell by the pictures, all you gain is the adjustability of the horizontal arms, unless I am missing something. Instead of spending $150, which not just buy the correct arms that fit your needs. It would be a helluva lot cheaper.

If I am missing something. let me know. I'm curious.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just received my update kit yesterday, but haven't got them on yet. Will be while before I can try them anyway. I bought them off Ebay for 118 shipped. I can't see where they would be dangerous on a 2 wheeler unless you had them aimed down and I would think other parts would be dragging anyway. Not a problem for me anyway as I ride a trike. I guess you pay your money and take your chances on stuff like that. Harry

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I hereby designate you as our qualified test pilot for the update kit. GO HARRY!!

I just received my update kit yesterday, but haven't got them on yet. Will be while before I can try them anyway. I bought them off Ebay for 118 shipped. I can't see where they would be dangerous on a 2 wheeler unless you had them aimed down and I would think other parts would be dragging anyway. Not a problem for me anyway as I ride a trike. I guess you pay your money and take your chances on stuff like that. Harry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts