GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a recent thread regarding a possible error in Microsoft Streets & Trips 2002 (and 2004 version) regarding the Cherohala Skyway. After thinking about this "error", I've come to the following assumptions (vs conclusions).

1 - Cherohala Skyway seems to be the name given to a road thru the Cherohala Forest. The Cherohala Forest is mainly in TN. The adjoining National Forest in NC is called the Nantahala National Forest.

2 - The portion shown on the map in Streets & Trips which deadends was probably the original Nat'l Forest Service road thru the Cherohala Forest.

3 - At some point in time, that road was paved and then probably "improved" numerous times and slightly rerouted near the TN/NC border. But that portion of the original road which was not improved (may now be old pavement, gravel or even a dirt 2-track) is still officially part of the original Cherohala Skyway on the Forest Service map. Hence subsequent maps produced for commercial distribution reflect that name for the "deadend" portion.

4 - Streets & Trips follows the current paved road into NC and on to Robbinsville. The only thing that's confusing to me is the software labels that NC road as "Pine Rodge Road". This road eventually runs into 1127. According to my NC state map, this route (from the TN/NC state line to Robbinsville) is Hwy 143. I can't find a Hwy 143 in Streets & Trips in that area.

5 - Having said all this, I believe the green line on my Streets & Trips map is "the Cherohala Skyway" even though the highway department in NC may not use that name officially. Local units of government often "do their own thing" and from experience, that's especially true in many rural areas.

So......I'm not convinced that there's an error in Streets & Trips regarding the Cherohala Skyway. Anyone confirm or disprove my musings?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
another thought on your road name is that many roads actually have two or more names. one for the state and one for the locals or like where i live townships.

i have also been on one mile roads that are named differently on each end because they change at the township line.

speaking only for the garmin maps v 5, i havent fooled it yet, and i have thrown every trick i could think of at it.

loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Might be time to look at a paper map. I'm not entirely trusting of electronic maps. I usually always look at a paper map to confirm anything in question.

Also, this is the time of year to visit the websites of all the states that you plan on touring through this year, and get signed up to recieve a "tourist pack". They will include an "official" state map (hint, hint... if anyone knows where the roads are in their own state, then they should), along with destinations to see, lodging, and many will send coupons and discounts.

Many state websites can be reached by using the following.

www.state.IL.us.

That is for Illinois. For any other state, just substitute that state's two letter state code for the "IL".

·
Registered
15 Posts
I travelled it last year during the Hoot, but, I don't remember what map we used to get there. The best thing to do is just go to the store at Deals Gap and ask directions. It's a Funtastic piece of road to travel, one long sweeper after another with panoramic views second to none. I know this doesn't solve the Streets and Trips question, but, I just wanted folks to know it's worth the effort finding it on a map and going there.

·
Registered
20,983 Posts
last year GLgene and I traveled to Deals Gap, there were NO maps available at the otherwise very nice store at Deals Gap. Recommend getting the area maps before the trip if possible. Be sure to stop at the store lots of interesting stuff there.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Can't help you verify your electronic map, etc. But if you are just trying to find maps try this site. Also a lot of info on the area. I rode the Cherohala Skyway 3 times and the "Dragon" 5 times on my trip there last summer. Had such a great trip I'm thinking about going back again this summer. Lot of other great roads in the area. Also rode the Blue Ridge Parkway from the south to the north. We were there at the end of July (after the July 4th rush) and had very little traffic to contend with.
The first link is the home page. The next 2 are links within that site. And there's a lot more. Check the index on the left side of the page.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps.html

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/RADAR_MAP.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts