GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Escapade Elite and really like it. The only thing though, is when I get in a hard rain water gets in those two recessed places in the back with the covers over them. There's one on each side and each one will have about a quart of water in it. I took it back to the dealer and he got in and shut himself in it and said the lid was not snug. He adjusted the latch but it still leaks. Problem is, it shows no sign of leaking around the lid. Any ideas or anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Man this one beats me, Ive never had any leaks (knock on wood). Have you called Ca sidecar for some guidance?

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Mailman.. I have an 06 Escapade elite ... I have not noticed any water in my trailer... if you find out where the water is getting in... PLEASE let me know so I head off any problems...

thanks,

cosmic

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2004. I found out mine was leaking around the tail lights. I removed the lights and applied a silicone bead and reset the lights. I have not had any water leaking since

Dave

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
####

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree that the large seams where the interior light housings for the tail lights meet the exterior are not sealed that well from the factory, by removing the rear lights you can put more silicon in the seam openings. Using the smaller squeeze tubes makes it easier.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I have a 05 Elite that does the same thing. This fall I rode to CSC to have it fixed after the dealer could not figure it out. After they redid the tailights and new rubber seals and adjusted the lock I was on my way.

I road about 150 miles in the rain after leaving the factory and in the morning checked it and the water was in the pockets again. I called Will at CSC and he transfered me to a supervisor and of course we had several words none of which were that good. He told me they had some problems with QC and also that they switched suppliers for the rubber seal and maybe it was off. The bottom line is that they are doing alot of business and are expanding the plant and are not going to take care of this problem without being forced to by a court of law in my opinion.

Upon returning to WI and the original dealer and by the way they are doing everything in their power to make it right we tried some other things. More sealent in the tailights and readjust the lock again. We found that it would unlatch ever so much after being closed and this probably was the problem. Also check the liscense plate holder as it is loose from the factory and will allow water to leak in through it as well.

I have since ordered a new one as my wife just likes that style and I must say I do too but I did have several conversations with John Preston about a Bushtec and frankly I was set to order one but you know what they say about moma being happy.

I wish you luck and you will find that you are not alone as I bet many others leak as well but some just don't know it. Mine was pretty bad as the whole inside was soaked.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mailman,

I had a 2002 Elite that would leak water during hard rains. I would get water into the spare tire well along with the two corner storage areas.

I finally pulled up the carpet and squirted the trailer with a garden hose until it leaked. Water was coming in around the license plate light. I dug out the old silicone, pulled the light out, and re-siliconed it. This corrected my problem.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It is funny how the Piggy Back owners refused to pay for an Escapade trailer, but if you read the Piggy Back thread they have spent a lot of $$$ :money1: on upgrades they had to make to get a decent trailer and it still looks like a plastic car top carrier on wheels (which it is) :lol:

I don't care what anybody says Escapde is one of the finest trailers out there. No matter what you buy and it is made by human hands it will not be perfect. To each thier own on what we buy.

You don't have to like my Escapade but I do not care. If every one like the same thing they would only make one type of trailer, one colored Goldwing. For one I would not buy a black Wing, but that me.

So it took me 10 minutes to remove a tail light apply a little silicone and re-instal the light, not a big deal. that has been my one and only problem while I have towed my Escapade trailer over 20K miles. When it comes to purchase a new trailer Escapade will by my only choice.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
BASSNMAN said:
Mailman
you know whats funny :roll:
I guy I know remarked about my Piggy Backer trailer that it was a POS :!:
And it's funny he bought a $4600 Escapade :) the Jackass that he is :lol:
And the Escapades are LEAKING & my $600 POS is as dry as A BONE :lol:
sorry to highjack your post :) :)
I sure would not have a $18,000 bike and pull a trailer that had a car top carrier hooked on it.. :oops:

cosmic

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I had a similiar problem once. Silicone that we used for sealing had some change in manufacturing. What ended up happening was the material shrunk more than previously. Switched to another company and the problem went away. So much for 'improving' the product.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Could it be that the water is coming in from the mudflaps mounting bolts? I noticed that no one has mentioned this, but a good closer look is warranted and perhaps additional silicone needed.
PS: My '02 Escapade trailer is dry as a bone....knock on wood! :lol:

Mike

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
My Escapade leaks along the front of the lid from the typical cold creep of Polyester resin supported glass. It did not leak for the first two or three years we used it.

You might put paper towels around the trailer and subject it to water for a short time, then see where the paper towels get wet first.

The water could be traveling quite a ways from the entry point.

Also, does it leak statically or only when you are moving?

Make sure that, if it leaks only when you are moving, that there are no holes in the wheel well that would allow water to be slung in.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
When I picked up my 06 Escapade in Oct.. it rained hard all day on our way back (thats normal right?) ... I checked the inside of my trailer when I got home... DRY AS A BONE.. maybe I was lucky ...
I really like my Escapade.. only problem I have with it..... I just don't get to use it enough... (work requires my presense) :lol:

cosmic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts