GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how many of you Escapade Elite owners have had issues with the paint finish on the lid? My lid looks like the fiberglass base wasn't sanded smooth before it was painted in some places. Looks like I can see the fiberglass pattern under the paint in some places. I talked to Cal. Sidecar & they want me to take it to a bodyshop to have it wet/color sanded. I don't believe that this will help as to me it looks like the fiberglass itself, not the paint or clearcoat. They said that they have seen this before and that color sanding will fix it. I will try it but seems like to me that all the paint will have to come off and the glass itself will need to be sanded. I am trying to get them to just ship a new painted lid to my dealer so we can swap it out and send this one back to them.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Eric.. thanks for that info.. i am picking up a new trailer Oct 13th.. and I will be real sure to check the lid..

cosmic

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Cosmic,

Make sure that the paint on the sides don't show any distortion where the lid mounting brackets attach to the insides of the trailer. Mine has a bad putty job on one side. I'm surprised that QC didn't pick it up, or perhaps they just didn't care!

When you pick yours up, give a close look from the back to make sure that the lid is uniformly closed without any gaps on the rear on either side. Mine doesn't close evenly.

Open the lid, put some weight in the trailer and push down on top of the shock area from the inside, where the top of the shocks meets the body of the trailer. One side at a time. The suspension should compress and then rebound without any difficulty. One side of mine binds after I load it up.

I wish that I was part of this group when I picked-up my trailer and gotten some recommendations from other owners, but I previously had a 17 cubic foot Escapade trailer without any issues and thought that I'd have the same quality with their larger unit. I cannot say the same about their 25 cubic foot, or at least mine. If you have any issues, no matter how small they might be, have them looked at while you're there. They'll get worse with time.

Make sure that the tail lights are uniformly mounted in their respective housings. Mine had a larger gap on one side than the other, but they corrected it before I left.

In the distant future, I will look at the car replica trailers. Perhaps I'll have better luck with them.

Enjoy your trailer, I do mine even with its small idiosyncrasies, it does complement the Wing, I must say. Just be ready for the attention you'll get where ever you'll stop.

Ride safely.

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Cosmic,

One more thing, when you wheel the trailer around without it being attached to the Wing, don't lift the draw bar too high, or you'll drag and scape the rear bottom of the unit.

Ride safely.

Mike T.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Picked my new escapade elite up yesterday.So far no issues,but will have a better idea after a trip this weekend.
Thanks for your post and the heads up concerning the paint,as well as the replys about other possable concerns with this trl.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lesfishing said:
Picked my new escapade elite up yesterday.So far no issues,but will have a better idea after a trip this weekend.
Thanks for your post and the heads up concerning the paint,as well as the replys about other possable concerns with this trl.
You will love the trailer. It pulls great and does not move around at all. You almost forget that it is there. I love my trailer, but I am not quite happy with the finish on the lid. The lid is the only problem I have with mine. They do get A LOT of attention when they are pulled.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
eethomas said:
Italian Stallion, did you have any of those issues fixed or are you just living with them? As much as these trailers cost, and as long as CSC have been in the business, they should be defect free in my opinion.
Mr. Thomas sir,

I agree with what you say, I did have the right side suspension looked at during the 2004 Wing Ding in Ft. Wayne, IN by the Escapade's shop foreman that was there as a vendor. He suggested that I bring the trailer to a local Honda dealer where he worked on it with a co-worker of his. I thought that the right thing to do was to replace the right suspension altogether, instead he just worked on it, saying that it was tweeked. It's better than what it was, but I don't think that it is 100%. They did suggest that I keep the pressure in the shocks at 50 lbs, which I believe is eccessive, but they build them, not me. The other small issues that I've experienced with it are something that I can just live with. Living in New Jersey, I often say that I should bring it down to the factory in Virginia where I picked it up to have it looked at, but then I become complacent and keep putting it off.
I do love the trailer and the way it looks behind the Wing, it was the major reason why I went with this trailer versus the forward slanted looking Bushtec, and the small issues that I've experienced with it do not keep me awake at night.
Based on past experience, however, if I do decide in the distant future to purchase a new trailer, I will most definitely be a better educated consumer.

Regards,

Mike T.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I can honestly say that after having purchased four Escapdes and all of them new I will not purchase another one.

I don't intend to sit here and bash but they have some serious quality control issues and they are not going to dissapear anytime soon.

I have had mine worked on at the dealer and also by the rep who came to the dealer for a show and yes I did take it to the factory as well. I can attest to the fact that they have problems.

Enough said on my part.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Typically when you can see the glass mat print the gelcoat is too thin. If this is the case, no amount of colorsanding will fix it...only a new lid. If you are attending Wings over the Smokies, they usually have a factory rep there.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lewis/EC said:
Typically when you can see the glass mat print the gelcoat is too thin. If this is the case, no amount of colorsanding will fix it...only a new lid. If you are attending Wings over the Smokies, they usually have a factory rep there.
That's what I think also. I will be taking it to a body shop to get a more professional opinion, but I don't think color sanding is going to do it.

Lewis, thanks for the quad bulb for the turn signal conversion kit. The bulb fixed it. I will be sending you the old bulb back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts