GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy who has an 2006 Escapade Elite for sale. The trailer looks to be in good condition based on the pictures he has sent me. He is asking $2700.00 for it, just wondering if anyone out there has this trailer and if they believe that $2700. is a reasonable asking price. Also is their anything specfic I should watch out for before buying this particular brand of trailer, any known issues it may have.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I have an '09 I bought new and I paid quite a bit more for mine than that. If you are comfortable with the price go for it. Mine pulls like it's not even there and stays behind the bike well when stopping quick. Pretty easy access to the inside also. I would buy another one if that means anything. Only problem I've had with mine was a shock went bad but it was replaced under warranty. I've pulled it around 12K give or take.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
1) Make sure that the lid, when closed, aligns correctly all the way around.

2) Make sure that when the lid is opened, that it stays opened.

3) Make sure that the hand pump for the suspension actually pumps up the suspension.

4) Raise each wheel separately and check for play on the suspension's leading arm where the spindle is attached.

5) Make sure that the bra's attachment points have good snaps.

If the above 5 items are to your satisfaction, and the overall condition is to your liking, then you have a winner. Don't worry about worn tires, they are easily replaced.

Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Like Italian Stallion said, be sure those things are as they should be and over all it is sound and in good condition.

I sold my '04 last year for $3200. I think that is a very good price.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have an 04 LE with a red/merlot custom Harley paint scheme. I gave 3k for it two years ago. It was only used twice and it looked like it so I had no objection to the price.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No one said it yet but check the shocks and see that they compress and return. I bought my Elite last year and paid a good price at 2700 and have towed it about 6000+ miles. I love my trailer and what it allows us to take on the road with us when we travel. I was having problems with the shocks compressing and not returning quickly to the correct height. I pulled the shocks last night to find that they were both leaking oil eventhough they held air perfectly. I just sent them to Progressive to be rebuilt and it will cost about 260.00. So check the shocks too. As for the trailer, you will find it hard to tell it is there except taking off (takes a little more throttle)and stopping (a little longer depending how your wife loaded it). Your wife will load it won't she. :cool:

You will not regret the purchase...this is a great trailer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Love mine. And I would agree that price is pretty good.

·
Registered
741 Posts
No one said it yet but check the shocks and see that they compress and return. I bought my Elite last year and paid a good price at 2700 and have towed it about 6000+ miles. I love my trailer and what it allows us to take on the road with us when we travel. I was having problems with the shocks compressing and not returning quickly to the correct height. I pulled the shocks last night to find that they were both leaking oil eventhough they held air perfectly. I just sent them to Progressive to be rebuilt and it will cost about 260.00. So check the shocks too. As for the trailer, you will find it hard to tell it is there except taking off (takes a little more throttle)and stopping (a little longer depending how your wife loaded it). Your wife will load it won't she. :cool:

You will not regret the purchase...this is a great trailer.
Maybe Progressive neglected to tell you they have a seal kit for the two shocks for about $19 bucks. The seals are easy to change and you just use trans fluid in them. Besides, I think you can get two new shocks from them for little more than that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
great trailer and price and even with the little work you may have to Co to make it new its well worth it. Buy it and run

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info! Deal fell through so I went and bought a Matrix Quest 2011 model for $1200.00 less than the guy wanted for the Escapade. So it all worked out for the best I guess. The Quest looks like a nice little trailer, we really didn't need 25 cu ft of storage. The Quest has 14 cu ft., which is 6 cu. ft. more than our last trailer(Podium Lugg"). Even with only 8 cu ft of storage in our last trailer we seldom lacked room for all we had, so 14 cu. ft. should be a breeze.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for all the info! Deal fell through so I went and bought a Matrix Quest 2011 model for $1200.00 less than the guy wanted for the Escapade. So it all worked out for the best I guess. The Quest looks like a nice little trailer, we really didn't need 25 cu ft of storage. The Quest has 14 cu ft., which is 6 cu. ft. more than our last trailer(Podium Lugg"). Even with only 8 cu ft of storage in our last trailer we seldom lacked room for all we had, so 14 cu. ft. should be a breeze.
Had not seen this one before. Found a few pics on the web and it looks nice.
How about some pics and impressions once you have used it for a bit??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had not seen this one before. Found a few pics on the web and it looks nice.
How about some pics and impressions once you have used it for a bit??
Will do, were heading down to the Black Hills area in a couple of weeks so I'll update with my impressions and a picture or two then. It's about a 1500 mile round trip so should be enough to test it out fairly well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
:popcorn:

The Escapade Elite has many options you can get to increase the price of new and value of used. Go to the their website and you can see all of them and the price of new. Some are a spoiler, a lighted spoiler, LED side marker lights, chrome wheels or alumn wheels, spare tire, garment bag, mud flaps with chrome inserts and more.

I see your deal fell through, but even stripped with few options, the price was good. Hope you enjoy your new trailer. Oh, one can never have enough cu.ft. of space and they all pull the same...like their not there.

:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts