GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two year old elite that has been gathering dust and has never been used. I am curious as to what pressure you guys that have them tend to run in the tires and the shocks. I know load has a lot to do with it but you all must have a basic starting point.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have always ran about 30 lbs. in mine. When we are on a trip and the trailer has been loaded I always check the tires for warmth when we stop, especially on hotter days.. I have never felt the need to add any mor air to the tires. They have warn pretty even for probably 20,000 miles of service that I have used it for.

I am not saying this is what to do, only what I do... Take if for what it is worth for your needs...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just had my 12 inch trailer tires balanced on my new Escapade. The guy who blanced the tires said that the 20 lbs. that I had them inflated to was perfect for the tires, due to the low carrying weight. Said the tires would wear the center due to crowning with too much air, plus a softer ride. PS: spend a few bucks to have them balanced. Factory says 20 lbs. in the shocks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I run 24 lbs in the tires, and 20 to 30lbs in the shocks depending on load. 25lbs in the shocks will just about do all that I normally do with the trailer. I have been heavily loaded a few times and that is when I raise the shocks to 30lbs.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
On a hot day with 20-25 lbs of air in the tires and the trailer loaded they will get warm/hot at interstate speeds. That is why I just raised mine to 30 and somewhat leave them there.

Remember you do not want the tires getting hot because that is what will cause you more troubles.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
When I picked up my new Escapade Elite a month ago in Virginia..
I was told to run between 18 and 22 lbs in the shocks depending on the load.. and 22 lbs PSI in the trailer tires.. for optium performance,handling
and service life...

cosmic

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all I appreciate the input. I have to start using this thing. Hard to do when you no longer have a wife. :D :D Guess I'll have to start riding my bike to go fishing.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The pressure in the suspension units affects the ride height.

Too much pressure will make the suspension ride too high and the result will be skipping on washboards in a turn.

Too little pressure when loaded will allow the suspension to pound the bottoming stop which can damage the shock and damage the top of the fenderwell where the shock is anchored.

When the right amount of air is in the suspension unit for the load at hand, you should be able to raise the trailer body 3/4 inch or so before it tries to raise the wheel.

The tire pressure you adopt will affect the tread life somewhat, with higer pressure giving greater tread life, and lower pressure giving a better ride with increased tire wear.

As said earlier, low pressure makes the tires run warmer but so does hit asphalt. Your trailer will be happier with lower pressure but your tires and your fuel mileage will be happier with higher pressure.

High ply count tires will run hotter at low pressure than low ply count tires. It is not a good idea to allow the siewalls of any tire to get hot to the touch.

Hubs should never get hot to the touch. On a long trip, it is always good to feel the tires and hubs when first stopping for fuel. Both sides should feel the same. If you wait untill after fueling to feel them, other effects like the sun shining on one side will fool you.

Unless you have been braking a lot, the front tire of you bike should feel similar to the trailer tires in temperature. The back tire of the bike will be heated by the final drive and the exhaust radiant heat.

Be sure to check the cap on the suspension arm bearings. if these come off, the lubrican is soon washed out and damage will follow.

Since the Champion and Escapade suspensions are nearly identical, the above comments can be for either, relative to suspension pressure. Tire pressure comments are more or less the same for all tires designed for trailers.

All comments are only my opinion from my own experience. Your expeirience may be different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts