GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my bike ready to pick up my new trailer .. is the Escapade 3 or 4 wire ?

thanks

cosmic

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
cosmic,

I would think you need their schematic of the trailer and their pigtail for your bike. If you dont have their pigtail, how will you know what end to put on? I'd call them and have them send you a schematic and the bike's pigtail before you go much further or get the trailer.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Cosmic,

My Escapade trailer came with a 6 wire set-up.
1) Tail and side LED lights.
2) Brake Lights.
3) Left turn signal.
4) Right turn signal.
5) Dome light.
6) Ground.

If you've ordered your trailer without the interior dome light, please reconsider. When you'll arrive at your destination in the dark, it's great to just open your trailer and see which bags you'd want to bring into your room, rather than fumbling for your flashlight with its dead batteries.

Ride safely.

Mike

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Mike,
You are right about the interior light. However, my Escapade has the interior light and when I used ot use the trailer, I had to wait in the morning a couple of times for someone with jumper cables to start my Wing, because the light got left on.

That is why we have the extensive Electrical Bay with Battery, relays, etc so that if you leave the light, air compressor, laptop, cooker or what ever else on in the trailer, it will not affect the bike at all.

Both the male and female connectors are availabe at auto parts stores and Walmart.

If you want the schematic for an isolation and battery system, eMail me.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike -- I did order it with the dome light... i just have to remember to
turn it off.... when I close the lid... :lol:

cosmic

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Cosmic,
Six bits says that someone will leave that light on if you travel 800 mile days on a long trip, especially after your gas springs will no longer hold up the lid, as mine did.

Hope I am wrong. It is really embarrasing to have to ask a cage driver for a jump. Nevertheless, get youself a set of cables for the trailer. You just never know.

Also a plug kit and an air compressor. The Wing is super reliable, but it won't go anywhere on a flat. Practice emergency roadside service. Be very sure to carry a small bungee or big oil filter O ring in your glove box. If you have a flat on the road, after you put in on the center stand, wind the bunge or O ring arond the front brake lever and throttle grip so the bike will not roll forward off the stand. It really messes up the plastic when you push the bike off the stand trying to push in a tire plug. Aslk me how I know.

I really hope you have the most enjoyable trip you have ever had.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Tom,

My 05 Escapade has a switch on the hinge arm, I think it turns the light off when the top is down. I will check on this later today.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Jim,

You are correct. My previous 02 Escapade trailer and present 06 Escapade trailer have a mercury switch to shut off the interior light when the lid is closed. I don't know when they started adding the mercury switch to the interior light option.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Tom, Cosmic, Ray and Jim,

The old Escapade trailer came without the mercury switch incorporated into the lid that shuts the interior dome light off. I purchased the first year that Escapade made the trailer to match the GL1800 in 2002 and it does have the switch. So I guess that they started with the switch in 2002.
Don't fret Cosmic, you won't kill the battery if you leave the dome light on.

Happy trails.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts