GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying a trailer. I have owned an Escapade and loved it. Right now, there is an abundance of used Bushtec trailers on the market at very good prices. I'm torn between going with what I know for almost $4,000 or getting a very serviceable Bushtec for $2,000.
I am appealing to those of you who may have experience good or bad with a Bushtec to enlighten me and share your experiences with me.

Thanks in advance.:confused:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Where are you seeing all the $2000 Bustecs for sale? I have been looking for awhile and can't find anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Bushtec is deeper, and more cubic feet. We have had ours for two years and love it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I tell you...

There are several on this boards "for sale" section and several on the GWRRA.org "for sale" board.

Gary, the specs sheet for both say 25 CUFT. I know the interior layout is very similar..wheels toward the outside of the cargo box.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Just some info.

I purchased a 92 Bushtec Turbo about 3 years ago. It has gone to over 10,000 miles with me now and except for needing new shocks it has been perfect. And they really hold their value. I use about a quart more fuel at gas stops of between 200 and 250 miles then the guys without trailers. Also when I go over a bump, the trailer comes straight down and doesn't bounce.

To me, it seems like the Escapade wheels are a bit farther back and would be harder to keep from loading it without excessive tongue weight.

I know some people complain about not being able to get tires anywhere for this trailer, but I don't worry about it because mine came with a spare. It also still has the original tires and they look great. I carry a repair kit anyway.

The trailer is very deep and you can get just about anything in it.

At 75mph and a stiff crosswind it may move a little bit, but no worse then the guys without trailers are getting blown around.

Just my two cents, or do you have change.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Escapade or Bushtec....you won't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The Hannigan is another very nice, high quality trailer, but you very seldom ever see one for sale.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input

Still looking, just waiting for the back pocket to catch up with the frontal lobe.
I appreciate all the opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
When I first was researching which trailer to buy, I narrowed my search to the Hannigan, Bushtec, Escapade and Tailwing. IMO, these trailers are very well made trailers, so, it came down to the esthetics of the trailer that I picked.

I feared the looks of the Tailwing, as it looked like a ramp behind the Wing, and I feared some nimcompoop, coming up from behind, would use it to run up on it and take my whole rig and us out in the process.

The Bushtec, from the side, looks like it's riding downhill when moving forward, plus I didn't want to deal with adjusting the suspension when I added weight to it.

The Hannigan, although appealing with its aerodynamic design, seemed hard to load in the forward reaches of the cargo area.

I chose the Escapade, which to me, had the best appearance of the bunch.

You'll get different views and opinions from some great members of this board, but since you asked, I felt that I should share mine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I chose the Bushtec to pull be hind my Harley. And will most likely choose Bushtec again to go behind the wing when I get it in a couple weeks.
I've had this Bushtec since 2002 and have pulled it a lot of miles through some great country and have never had a problem with it.
Tracks well,, stayes on the ground well,, and probably holds TO MUCH :roll:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have a Escapade Elite... love it... no issues.. pulls great .. loads easily..
it lists for less than a Bushtec... I picked up mine at the factory in Virginia...it ran just a tad over $3500.00... its color matched... chrome tounge, chrome wheels, carpeted, mud flaps, swivel hitch, front bra, inside light
& chrome license plate holder...

cosmic

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Escpade

Cosmic,
I also picked up my first Escapade from the factory (really great folks), but when I go to the on line price sheet what I want now is over $5,000. I have found a similar '06 Escapade(not Titanium) for almost $4,000. I have a lead on a Hanigan ('05..I think) for $2,500 and of course several Bushtec.
I'm curious, when did you buy yours?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Escapade

I have a escapade trailer and it does what I want it to do. Pulls great and I bought it for a good price. It was used, the person that I bought it from got a bush. I think for the color only it doesn't pull any better or maybe a little worse. Look at it this way how often are you going to pull it? How much do you want to carry? How deep are your pockets? Does color mean that much in the end. And how do you want to look going down the Hwy. at 70 miles an hr. There are a lot of trailers that you can get that will fit the bill for a lot less than either of the above. Just my opinion:lol:

Sonney

·
Registered
600 Posts
Along with Bushtec and Escapade, there are several brands of quality trailers on the market....and lots more poorly-made pieces of junk. I bought the Bushtec to replace a previous product that had a multitude of problems from the day it came out of the crate, so avoid the junk. I have about 35K on the Bushtec Quantum GL, and it has never disappointed me in any way.

B

·
0 Posts
Escapade wins easily...

Everyone has different priorities. Looks over function, quality vs. price, etc... I feel (given the choice of just the two) Escapade would be a better trailer and like others, feel the Hannigan and Tailwind trailers are also superior in quality and design.

If you have a lead on a used Hannigan, it would be well worth your time to visit and get a closer look. Great suspension on the Hannigan and good quality/well made trailer.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I logged 12 years with a Bushtec and last year had a yearning to try something else so got an Escapade.

Both are GREAT trailers and you will be happy with either.

The really GREAT thing about Bushtec, however, is they have a World Class customer oriented service department; you call and they help.

I am not saying that Escapade is not a good company, it is just that their Customer Service department is not visible like Bushtec. Heck...just start by checking out the Bushtec forum...which Escapade does not have.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Both are great trailers but....$2000 extra in your pocket means a lot also. (at least it does for me ;))

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My opinion....you will do well with either of your choices....perhaps get the one that keeps the most cash in your pocket

HOWEVER....if you are not happy with your choice it does not matter how much $$$ you save

How's that for awish-washy answer

AS an aside....me and the wifey ave a Bushtec...great rig, no problems...we are very happy we spent the $$$ as we got a good dollar value

Good luck with your choice!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts