GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 elite and when I unlock the hatch I have to turn the key twice to raise the lid, is this normal. I have a buddy with an 2010 same trailer and when he turns the key the lid pops open, mine requires me to lift the lid until the struts engage. My question is, do I need to change my struts? If so, I tried matching replacements at auto zone, no luck. Has anyone changed their struts, and if so with what?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have a 2009 and the lid is slowing down so I would say prop rods are getting weak!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Commander, I can't speak for the newer rigs but I have an 04 LE and the lid does not pop up and it requires two hands to open it. I have heard of others commenting about that pain in the butt also. I am not sure if it's the struts that have discharged or if it's the way the lock was designed to operate. I do know that once I lift the lid a ways it will go up by itself from there. I will admit that it's not as big an aggravation as my tail lights filling up with water!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have owned 3 escapades and NONE of them had the lid POP up once unlocked. The struts are not really what you would find at say autozone and such places. These struts are LOW PRESSURE and not what would be found on say a Chevy Tahoe rear door strut. There is a place online that you can buy them and IF you could find someone that owns a Hannigan Trailer there is a green/silver tag on the struts where they come from. I think it started with an A so maybe Avery Struts or something like that. If I remember correctly seems they were about 17 pound struts but the Hannigan people leave the tags on the struts. Then you just have to measure open length and closed length and the right PSI. Seems they were around $20 each.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Just tried my '02' Elite - 1turn of the key to open - 2clicks in the latch heard when closing. Lid does not pop open, but only free of the lock mechanism. I have a spoiler installed, so that does add additional weight to th rear of the lid(?). If that's not what you have maybe some lube is in order? Byron

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have an 04 elite and I can turn the key and the top will open all the way without any help, it has a spoiler on it.

Try putting some WD40 on the grommets were the shocks mount to the trailer and the top, see if that helps.

I have a friend that put new shocks on his trailer, he ordered them from CSC.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also have an 04 Elite with spoiler that opens fully without assistance. Key is fairly easy to turn with a little down push on the lid and then opens right up. Best I remember, there is only one turn of the key to open, and two clicks of the latch mechanism to ensure that it is closed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
You probably already have your answer but ...I have a 2007 escapade elite and when I turn my key the lid lifts with any assistance....I still think the lock is terrible and I would like to change it out to one that doesn't require always locking it....hope this helps...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts