GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 1996 Escapade trailer somthing is weird with the bearins. I had to add spacers I bought from CSC which tighten up the wheel slop and took it for a 4,000 trip no problems but the tires wore really funny. I ran about 25 psi. Now I would like to just replace all of the bearings and put new tires on. Does anybody know exactly what parts and tools I should get and how hard it is going to be to do the work. Never done car or trailer bearings only many sets of motrorcycle wheel bearings. CSC seem a little confused when I ordered parts in the past for this trailer but they were very nice to deal with. I don't mind spending
money for good parts.

Thank you for any help!

Doug

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You!!

Thank you for pointing this out!!! Great info

Thanks

Doug

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't know about the '96 model but my '04 just takes standard 1 inch trailer bearings.

I replaced them once and didn't do a very good job, apparently, because I had one a little tight. I had to replace it. I called CSC just to be sure about the bearings and the tech I talked to said they were fine, probably as good as the ones they use.

You can get them at Orscheln, Tractor Supply, or most any auto supply that stocks trailer supplies.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hubs

My hubs are pretty rusted they look really old. So I think I'm going to just replaced the whole assembly. I see that northen tool sells the hub but people say the dust caps don't fit. Made in the USA does sound nice!

Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
442 Posts
There is one other consideration to keep in mind when packing or changing wheel bearings on an Escapade Trailer. The Castle Nut has 6 slots for the cotter pin. Thats roughly 60 degrees of adjustment. Sometimes those two elements limit the nut to either being to tight or to loose.

Bearings were the first thing I checked when I purchased my 1993 Escapde. I found the right wheel nut was either two tight or to loose for the adjustment I felt best. I drilled a hole in the nut for the key between the slots so I obtained the right "feel" on adjustment. Never have had a problem except a friend and I, each had one trailer tire slashed at Wing Ding in Greenville the night of departure this past year.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If the bearing is too loose, or too tight, and you can't get it right....try adding a washer under the nut...then try adjusting again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts