GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 Escapade Elite trailer. In the past, I've had Bushtecs, with the tongue mounted cooler. This Escapade doesn't have a cooler, and it would be convenient to add one, but I'm a little conerned about the weight.

Anyone have thoughts?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I don't have a Busthec or an Escapade, but I keep a Yeti cooler inside of my Tailwind. It fits nicely between the wheel wells keeping the weight over the axel. It also does not get covered with road grime.

·
Registered
424 Posts
My Escapade is an older model '96. I added a cooler and haven't had any problems. I adjust the load in the trailer so the heavy stuff is in the rear as required to keep tongue weight at the proper amount.

Willie Wilson WD9FHA
Newburgh, IN
MARC
IBA #22660
DSI #429
Member of the All the Way Gang-2009 Ride for the Relay
http://www.ridefortherelay.org

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Have had 3 escapades with cooler on tongue and no issues...On the current champion trailer I took the cooler mount off the tongue and also now use a YETI 35 cooler inside...YMMV

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
My 2004 came from the factory with the cooler option

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Trailer

I pull a Dart trailer with a 25 Qt. cooler on the tongue. Never had a problem. Good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have the factory cooler on the tongue of my Escapade. However, I no longer use it as a cooler because of tongue weight concerns. I've found that is a great place to store wet raingear...................

·
Registered
156 Posts
Trailer tongue wt

I had a '99 Escapade SE and with the trailer and cooler empty it had about 28 to 30# tongue wt. Had to pack heaviest items in the rear, very little in the front 1/3 of the trailer. And only 6 waters/cans and a couple hand fulls of ice in the cooler to get under 60#. The trailer pulled very good and nobody else that I talked to had a problem with excessive tongue wt. I think mine had too much fiberglass in the nose and lid.
Hope this helps.
Al Mitchell

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a 2000 Escapade LE with the cooler option and it pulls and tracks nice, I haven't had any issue with tongue weight.
Get you a fish scale and load your cooler and balance the weight of the contents of your trailer to around 10-15% of total weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Tongue weight, isn't any problem with this trailer, once I forgot to remove the water drain plug in the cooler on a trip, when I got home & tried to unhook the trailer from the bike I hurt my back, the cooler was full to the top with ice & melted ice water & cokes, the weight was so heavy I had to remove the drain plug & allow the water to drain out before I could unhook the trailer...the trailer pulled the same with this tongue weight as it did empty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts