GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a trailer soon and was wondering if any one had pro's or con's between either an Escapade or the Hannigan. These are the two that the wife likes the best.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Hi... read the posts about trailers on this section.... someone expressed
that the Hannigan suspension if not real durable.. that is the reason I
ordered a Escapade...
look down and the post is labeled "trailer"

cosmic

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
We have been building trailers since 1957, and although the Tailwind is expensively built, it is generlly considered the best. There are other good trailers and not everyone wants to spend the money to have the best. I have owned two Hannigan trailers and have an Escapade, the subjects of this thread.

If a trailer is selected on the basis of esthetics, there is no way to say one is better than the other, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

However, if you were to dissect each of the trailers from a technological stand point and could see below the paint with chassis and bodies separated and bodies sawed in two and viewed after several years in the weather, my belief is that all trailers would stack in a totem with most of the technologists rating them in a very defined order.

Lets say they were all painted olive drab and had no chrome.

Next, maybe it is springtime and there are 200 eggs to carry from Downtown Detroit to Downtown New York City and the eggs were worth $100 each if you got them there in 10 hours and could only stop for gas twice. Each egg broken cost you $1,000.

How would you go about selecting the trailer you were going to carry them in?

This puts a different perspective on what we would do. It also starts to give an idea of how marketing is done and what is reinforced and what is not open for dicussion.

Which trailers have the suspension loads remaining in the chassis?

Which trailers have the suspension loads dumped into the fenders?

Which trailers have no hydraulic damping?

How much suspension travel does each trailer have?

How compliant is the suspension in each trailer?

Which trailer has the lowest probablility of roll over? (Height of CG divided by the track width.)

Which trailer takes the least fuel to pull?

Which trailer is the easiest to access every item carried?

Which trailer has the longest lasting body? Bearings? Suspension?

If a person planning to buy a trailer stacks the trailers according to these parameters on one side of the column and the pricing on the other side, then there is a way to start homing in on a few and finally on one.

I believe that if you look at the suspension of the Hannigan and the Escapade and how it is made and what it is made of, you will see that the Hannigan is stronger. There are other attributes in the suspension systems beside strength, such as velocity profile, travel, damping, etc.

If you quantify these other attributes of the Hannigan and the Escapade, I believe the Hannigan is superior there as well. It is harder to unload.

I do not have anything to do with either of these companies and have had both of their products. I think they are both good trailers.

If the esthetics of one is more pleasing to you that the other, so be it.

If you look at refinement, you will start to see that there is a difference, such as plastic chrome edging to hide an unfinished edge.

I have not reviewed the pricing of each and they could have enough difference in price to offset the difference in refinement.

Both companies do well and both probably have more interest in Trikes than Trailers at this point.

PS:
Cosmic, I failed to find any comment on any thread relative to a problem with Hannigan suspension. Anything can happen. I have just not heard of it.

J

·
0 Posts
I was originally going to purchase an Escapade trailer, but found a considerable number of owner complaints in this forum about the fiberglass under the bra was bubbling. My dealer in OK City could not get Hannigans delivered in any reasonable time frame. So that did it for me and eliminated both of those trailers from my search. After 2 months of study it became apparent only Tailwaid and Bushtec were trailers that would meet my perceived needs.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
jniles said:
I was originally going to purchase an Escapade trailer, but found a considerable number of owner complaints in this forum about the fiberglass under the bra was bubbling. My dealer in OK City could not get Hannigans delivered in any reasonable time frame. So that did it for me and eliminated both of those trailers from my search. After 2 months of study it became apparent only Tailwaid and Bushtec were trailers that would meet my perceived needs.
I talked to Patrick Sanders at Escapade trailers -- he said the reason
that the paint bubbled on some trailers was because contamination under the paint which has now been solved... paint has a 1 year warranty..

cosmic

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with either one, but I have several friends that have both and each swear by their trailer.

Personally, I think Hannigan makes the "best looking" trailer. I started to get one several moths ago, but after being quoted a 4 month delivery time, I decided to search elsewhere.

After much research, I thought I was going to buy a Bushtec. Nice trailer, about the same price. Great company. But then one morning I woke up and thought "why am I spending this kind of money on something I'll only use 3-4 times a year?"

After some soul-searching, I decided on an Aluma MCT. I have been delighted with my decision. Yeah, it looks like a "Hot Dog" cart, but I get lots of compliments and it pulls like a dream.

If I had it to do all over again and time and money was not a factor, I'd get a Hannigan. That being said, I really like my Aluma!

Bartman

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I like my Hannigan and don't plan on looking anyplace else. the suspension is very strong and durable. It has to be to haul all the stuff the S.O. brings along. hee hee. We have towed it over 10,000 miles easy and no problems with the paint under the bra at all. I remove it and wash it and the trailer and make sure it is dry before reinstall after each ride. It still looks brand new, it is an 03. Just my 1800 cents worth
:D :flg:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Two friends of mine both have Escapade Elite trailers. Both have stress cracks that developed in the gelcoat on the lids.

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
I just sold my Hannigan after putting about 12,000 miles on it this past year. I personally think it was a very solid trailer, albeit a little difficult to load and unload because of its shape. Nevertheless, I could recommend it without hesitation. My next trailer will probably be a Bushtec or Tailwind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts