GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 Wing with Champion trike kit and a 5 pin trailer connector (supposedly there is a blue wire in there for an accessory). I have a used Escapade trailer with their 6 pin plug. Can I hard wire the accessory wire ( for interior light) into the trike running lights wire and connect to my plug without causing any major problems? Thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I would think it would be OK, of course you will need to leave the bike running or at least the ignition to "ON" to have the interior light work.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sorry but I'm gonna go with a maybe leaning no.

If your trike has a five pin which includes an accessory power supply, then that leaves four wires for the actual trailer lights.

Most Escapades trailers that I have seen have amber turn signals separate from the red brake lights.

So if that fifth wire on the trike is full time accessory power then you have no brake lights on the trailer.:frown2:

Based on zero experience with Champion, my guess is that the five wires on the trike are: ground, tail, brake, left turn and right turn. This would match the trike lights and be consistent with most motorcycle trailers.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
I have an 02 Wing with Champion trike kit and a 5 pin trailer connector (supposedly there is a blue wire in there for an accessory). I have a used Escapade trailer with their 6 pin plug. Can I hard wire the accessory wire ( for interior light) into the trike running lights wire and connect to my plug without causing any major problems? Thanks
Yes ... connect the blue wire to the wire for you running lights. But it also means that your interior light will only work when your running lights are on (key is on). If you choose, you can put a switch near the interior light to keep it turned off while your are traveling.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood the question, I was thinking that if the OP taps the interior light into the tail light circuit on the trailer side, then while the trailer is connected to the bike and the tail lights are on, he has power for the interior light, with out taking away any functionality of the trailer lighting.

The really correct way to do it is to change over to a 6 way plug and have a dedicated power circuit for the interior light.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your responses. I have found out from Champion that the original wiring is 6 wire, but whoever connected the plug only used a 5 wire connector. I have found the 6th wire(blue) which is for the accessory and that will solve my problem.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood the question, I was thinking that if the OP taps the interior light into the tail light circuit on the trailer side, then while the trailer is connected to the bike and the tail lights are on, he has power for the interior light, with out taking away any functionality of the trailer lighting.

The really correct way to do it is to change over to a 6 way plug and have a dedicated power circuit for the interior light.
Thank you all for your responses. I have found out from Champion that the original wiring is 6 wire, but whoever connected the plug only used a 5 wire connector. I have found the 6th wire(blue) which is for the accessory and that will solve my problem.
Nice ... a 6th wire found. As M61A1MECH said, a 6th wire is a better way to hook up an interior light. Doing it that way, if you choose, one can have power to the interior light at all times so long as the trailer is still connected to the bike. That means the key would not need to be turned on to have light. To keep from accidentally leaving the light on, and having a dead battery, be sure to either use a gravity switch, or a timer to keep that from happening.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts