GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the Looney Toons in Washington DC is suggesting they up the % from 10 to 15%. What will that do to the Goldwing engines?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Don't be too sure about the upping the ethanol not happening. It may happen for several reasons.

Even tho most people are now starting to realize that E85 is a bust, because it gets more money in subsidies than it sells for. And it gets lower mileage so that even with the lower price it still costs more to use. And there is also evidence that its greenhouse gas effect is actually worse than dino-juice. And it takes about the same amount of energy to produce as it provides.

But the companies than make ethanol drop big money to the pols to get what they want. And the Feds, states and cities would reap more money in sales and gas tax revenue. And they are all hurting for money now. They will package the scam as a patriotic American energy solution rather than call it what it really is: A TAX INCREASE.

But going to 20% ethanol may be a big problem. Cars and bikes can handle up to 10% with no problem. But past that and their ECMs may not be able to adjust and their fuel lines may not hold up. The newer "FlexFuel" vehicles can handle it.

Let your politicians know that this is not a good idea.

W

·
0 Posts
...And the Feds, states and cities would reap more money in sales and gas tax revenue. And they are all hurting for money now. They will package the scam as a patriotic American energy solution rather than call it what it really is: A TAX INCREASE.
Here we go with conspiracy theories again... :lol:

Just to clear the record, states and municipalities get less tax per gallon on E10 or E15 than on regular gas. The amount varies by state but typically taxes on ethanol fuel are 5 cents per gallon less than for regular gas. Granted, people will be buying more gallons because of their reduced mileage but it still ends up as a net loss of tax income.

·
Vendor
21,875 Posts
I believe there is a statement in your manual not to use ethanol in any percentages higher than 10%. Many autos also have a similar statement in the owners manual. The fuel lines and other various components in the fuel system are not made to withstand any higher percentages of ethanol.

I don't think the governement can just arbitrally increase the percentage when a majority of automobiles on the road can't tolerate higher percentage levels.

However, you should also be aware that the current 10% number is really just a ballpark figure. I think if you actually test the ethanol content you will find wide variation in the percentage from station to station. I have heard reports of some stations already using percentages as high as 20%, though I haven't actually confirmed this myself, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it is true.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had heard anything over 10% could damage a Goldwing Engine. Guess it's time to start making phone calls and sending letters to the :joke: in DC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts