GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my first Alpin PA-3 on my 2008 GL1800 in March 2013, ~29,000 miles later, I replaced it.

The change went much faster this time now that I have experience. Washed the new tire just before taking the pic.

My question to you all is.... Did I wait to long to replace it? Or are there still some good miles left in the old tire?

Curious as to why it would wear more on the right than the left.

I do push it in the wonderful NorCal twisties quite a bit. I've been running about 34psi.

Sadly, I probably prolonged the California drought by putting good tread on my bike last night....

Jennifer
IMG_20140221_183701.jpg IMG_20140221_183654.jpg IMG_20140221_183055.jpg

·
DSI Keeper
9,158 Posts
Yes, you waited too long to change the tire out. Always go by the most worn tread.

'Pushing it' means different things to different riders. Looking at your tread wear and seeing what pressure you are running (IMO) leads me to believe that you spend most of your time fairly vertical. If that is true, I would suggest lowering your PSI between30-32. You might find the tire is squirmy at this pressure, and if it is, then you may to carry a small compressor and bump the pressure up when it is time to play in the twisties. In comparing with my results running the same tire, I had to run the pressure up to 46 psi before it became compliant in the twisties. I got 3600 miles out it with even wear. YMMV

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
yep like murgie said lower the pressur eout of the twisties t 30-32 then when ou wnat to play pump it up to 40 psi cold and then the tire is totally a differnet animal enjoy

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Yes, you waited too long to change the tire out. Always go by the most worn tread.
... I got 3600 miles out it with even wear. YMMV
Murgie - I do hope you meant 36,000 - not 3600 otherwise you doing something terribly wrong... :yikes: :lol:

·
Registered
627 Posts
yep like murgie said lower the pressur eout of the twisties t 30-32 then when ou wnat to play pump it up to 40 psi cold and then the tire is totally a differnet animal enjoy
Please explain the difference. I have always ran 30-32. What difference will going up psi make?
First time I have read about increasing.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
i run 26 lbs in mine -wears even -the reason you bump up air it makes tire rounder !! handles better in twisties cause it doesnt flex as much

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
:agree: High pressure makes for a stiffer sidewall, great for twisties, terrible for slab. Both a rougher ride and the center will wear down mucho quick.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Ok here is my option two years ago at last Darkside run I was chasing a very good friend wv cardinal in same great twisties with my wife on back seat his ( dick) sweet pea and the rear twisted very bad that I want to get rid of tire I talk to some on this board and they felt the same I thing it was Ohio and he told me to bump up the pressure of the tire and I did and holy crap it was what I was looking for to me 100 percent better than the kuhmo that I was running
If you look at the much and the outer end it has a lot of little line and in hard corners in lower air pressure they flex and feels like the tire wants to roll over not a good feeling when up bump up pressure to around 40-42 it makes the tire more round and a better ride to me and wife in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Murgie - I do hope you meant 36,000 - not 3600 otherwise you doing something terribly wrong... :yikes: :lol:
he is getting more than me,2600-2800 miles,lol

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
​27-29 psi for me to. Im a little over 250 lbs and it wears well. In the mountain's up it to 34-36.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Really he ride just as hard as u do

really hard to judge,i ride right out my back yard to the twistys,hardly any strait roads at all,im guessing that's the biggest difference

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yep that makes big difference hey glad to hear that your coming to the Darkside run again see u then Later

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sadly I do spend more time vertical than I would like. I live in the Sacramento Valley and ride the bike about 4 times as much as take the car so there is a lot of just running around the valley during the week.

On the weekends though, I'm leading 200-600 mile rides in the Coastal Range or Sierras and staying well ahead of most of the rest of the group and waiting for them at the turns. I try to enforce "ride your own ride" and avoid the pack mentality even though it is a group ride.

I'm sure I'm not pushing it the way that some of you do, but I'm no slouch!

Did about 300 miles in the Sierra foothills with a group today but still at the 34psi I had been running.

The advise about changing pressure will be taken to heart. Hope to see you on the road somewhere.

Jennifer

·
Registered
701 Posts
--

There are a couple of points not being mentioned here. One is that few riders sit in the center of their seat, either because everyone's body is uneven in their hips, buttocks, leg length, etc., and therefore end up sitting slightly crooked. It doesn't take much side movement to shift a lot of weight to one side. This causes the bike to run on a slight angle when going straight down the road which in turn causes more wear on one side of the tire. You can often feel where you are sitting by putting your hands down next to the sides of your hips while on the seat and see where they are in relation to your seat sides.

The other thing is that you don't have to necessarily run the higher tire pressure just for the occasional twisties. You can also turn up your shock pressure and that will markedly stiffen up your rear end. Then lower it after the turns. I often do that on my RoadStar (with a Gold Wing shock in the rear), and I can't believe the difference.

--

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Do you carry your wallet in your right-hip pocket? If so, halfway through this tire, move that load to left side.:shrug:

For the record, from hip to knee my right leg is a bit longer than my left.

From the looks of it, the "average" use of the tire over it's (long) life would seem to call for 2-4 pounds less air. But I would not worry about it. Getting 29,000 miles out of any tire on a motorcycle is way more than most. Put the pressure in it that makes you happy and ride on!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Jennifer, 29,000 miles is quite good, especially if you do even some aggressive twisty riding. I usually run 28 here at home where it's flat but when I ride down to the mountains, when I get there I go to about 32 psi. And the picture of your tire, I would have ridden that tire that long. I definitely prefer left handed curves and so I wear out the left side early and would still have a lot more miles available if I haven't been to the mountains.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Do you carry your wallet in your right-hip pocket? If so, halfway through this tire, move that load to left side.:shrug:
I will have to do just the opposite as my wallet is always way lite :lol: thanks for the tip :thumbup: :lol:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts