GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do these evaporator canisters last on the GL1800's?
My bike is an 08 with 45.7K miles and I'm getting that fuel smell from mine. It is possible that I could have put in a tad to much gas in the tank the last two fill-ups.
This has me think about changing the canister.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Canisters, unless severely abused, last forever. Don't fill your tank above the bottom of the fuel neck (or a bit lower if going to fill and then park the full tank in summer Texas (expansion)).
Takes a few rides to "air out" a fuel saturated canister. Also make sure the oring on the fuel cap is good and cap is on tight.

And if you had the shelter off, the overflow/vent hose in front of the tank is properly routed.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canisters, unless severely abused, last forever. Don't fill your tank above the bottom of the fuel neck (or a bit lower if going to fill and then park the full tank in summer Texas (expansion)).
Takes a few rides to "air out" a fuel saturated canister. Also make sure the oring on the fuel cap is good and cap is on tight.

And if you had the shelter off, the overflow/vent hose in front of the tank is properly routed.
Well, thats good to hear. I'll take a look at the o-ring and will check the routing of the vent hose.
Thanks

·
Vendor
18,464 Posts
How long do these evaporator canisters last on the GL1800's?
My bike is an 08 with 45.7K miles and I'm getting that fuel smell from mine. It is possible that I could have put in a tad to much gas in the tank the last two fill-ups.
This has me think about changing the canister.
Have you ever replaced a rear tire by laying the bike over. The reason I ask ... I've asked car mechanics, and they say they do go bad if exposed to liquid gas. Sometime charcoal is found in the vacuum hose. Although I've never found that, it makes me wonder, because many complain of fuel smells on hot days. I started a thread here about this subject. The reason I started it is because I'm gonna replace my canister and cut my old one open. I'll be posting pictures there. I'm told the charcoal is held in a sack, and liquid gas can damage the sack.

laying-a-5th-gen-over-on-its-side-to-change-the-rear-tire.468024

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Have you ever replaced a rear tire by laying the bike over. The reason I ask ... I've asked car mechanics, and they say they do go bad if exposed to liquid gas. Sometime charcoal is found in the vacuum hose. Although I've never found that, it makes me wonder, because many complain of fuel smells on hot days. I started a thread here about this subject. The reason I started it is because I'm gonna replace my canister and cut my old one open. I'll be posting pictures there. I'm told the charcoal is held in a sack, and liquid gas can damage the sack.

laying-a-5th-gen-over-on-its-side-to-change-the-rear-tire.468024
Another reason to make sure you drain the tank to about 1/4 before laying the bike over.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
There have been pictures posted of evap canisters that have rusted out...

Canister is for vapour, not for liquid. Don't fill above the bottom of the collar in the filler neck.

Maybe some vapour is escaping from a vent hose that has become disconnected or has a hole in it.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I recently purchased the this 08, maybe, three weeks ago. I've never layed the bike over to change a tire but I don't know the history of the bike. I look forward to seeing the pictures of the canister.

·
Vendor
18,464 Posts
I recently purchased the this 08, maybe, three weeks ago. I've never layed the bike over to change a tire but I don't know the history of the bike. I look forward to seeing the pictures of the canister.
I'll be posting the pictures on the tread I started on my forum. It's actually why I posted it there. I was hoping others might have something to share, but nothing so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts