GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had quite an evening of adding accessories to my 2019 Goldwing.

I installed an XM antenna (not Honda), rider backrest and homelink. All said it took about 7 hours.

Some of the things that should be simple are just a pain or a pain to get to.

Mostly clips and bolts in awkward places. Happy to report the only casualty was losing the pull out rivet on the console when putting in the homelink button. Otherwise everything seems to have gone back where it belongs.

I did not do these by the book.

XM antenna is mounted on the tour pack. Used an XM antenna made for cars. Worked fine so far but haven't gone anywhere yet.

Homelink module is velcroed under the seat. I was not about to go through all that mess with tearing apart the bike to put cable through a hole in saddlebag and tear apart the inside of the saddlebag.

Honda backrest went by the book, Not too bad of install.

Removing the seat is just silly. The engineer behind that should be beat.

Time savers:
There are videos showing how to pull up the console without taking apart the front of the bike. This is what I did and only takes 10-15 minutes the first time to pull up.

Not messing with putting homelink module in saddlebag. Plenty of cable to try different areas under the seat.

Not putting XM antenna at the front of the bike under the shelter. Radio is behind seat so made sense to just run wire along with wire bundle already there along and behind the passenger backrest. Small antenna so not very noticeable.

I may change around later but for now function over form. Form being the Honda way of putting these in. It's just not done where Honda mounts things but otherwise all connections are correct.

Someone please beat the engineers that made it so crazy to do anything. This should have taken 3-4 hours on other bikes but took 7.

Love riding the bike. That is what really counts and now I have extra tunes, a comfy backrest and built in garage door opener (ugg now all I have to do is find a darn remote that works to program it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will post some pics. Not much to show other than XM antenna placement, homelink buttons and backrest.

I should have taken pictures when I had the seat off.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Most seats are zero bolts and a turn of a key (like every other bike I have owed).

Honda, wants you to remove two bolts (maybe more, I forget), remove some tupperware, and pull carefully against the stays.

Here I thought my old BMW was a pia with questionable engineering choices.

When I went to install my EC fog lights, I found that the top shelter shortcut method worked, but with some observations:

- Don't forget to remove the push-pins near the console, I almost did.
- You had to pull REALLY hard to get the top shelter stays out. I was edging on "am I doing something wrong?" but I have a good feel for the strength of ABS plastic and with a bit more wrist, it popped out.
- One of the white covers on the stay got left behind in the hole and (of course) fell down. A grabbing tool is invaluable and needs to be in everyone's toolbox.
- Make sure you have a low profile hex key set. I used the bent part of my hex key to loosen and tighten, but if you have an old set, I would just cut that bent part shorter to help get in there. I had a rounded end on my hex key, but it didn't grab very well and was only used to get the bolt threaded initially and I used the bent part to torque it down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
travblu, your timing is impeccable! I just started a bunch of similar projects and got stumped at the clips in the trunk floor. They won't pry out; I broke one trying. You may not have removed the clips, but you solved the problem. Please post pics of where you put the module under the seat. To confirm, is the spot in the saddlebag just for storage- there's nothing else needed other than the module (plugged into the harness) and the switch?
Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
travblu, your timing is impeccable! I just started a bunch of similar projects and got stumped at the clips in the trunk floor. They won't pry out; I broke one trying. You may not have removed the clips, but you solved the problem. Please post pics of where you put the module under the seat. To confirm, is the spot in the saddlebag just for storage- there's nothing else needed other than the module (plugged into the harness) and the switch?
Thanks!
GRB60 I only took the seat off for the homelink install didn't mess with trunk. If like some of the others the center post has to be pryed up and then the whole thing will pull out. Had to deal with these on the console. There is only the cable that plugs in and the buttons on the console. I unfortunately didn't take picture of where I placed the module. I just velcroed to the top of the gas tank by frame crossbar. Tucked the cable down between tank. Had it in a bad spot at first where it blocked running the cable from seat heater but thanks to velcro I just pulled up and repositioned. My only concern is getting wet but there are other connectors under there that have wires that are just as exposed and the circuitry is in an enclosure.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put my xm antenna on the trunk lid.
It looks fine there and works great.
You are right, some of these people designing these bikes should be flogged.
This is where I installed mine too. Looks like the same antenna I used. Way easier and makes more sense to me.

Thank you for posting the picture for me and others to see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most seats are zero bolts and a turn of a key (like every other bike I have owed).

Honda, wants you to remove two bolts (maybe more, I forget), remove some tupperware, and pull carefully against the stays.

Here I thought my old BMW was a pia with questionable engineering choices.

When I went to install my EC fog lights, I found that the top shelter shortcut method worked, but with some observations:

- Don't forget to remove the push-pins near the console, I almost did.
- You had to pull REALLY hard to get the top shelter stays out. I was edging on "am I doing something wrong?" but I have a good feel for the strength of ABS plastic and with a bit more wrist, it popped out.
- One of the white covers on the stay got left behind in the hole and (of course) fell down. A grabbing tool is invaluable and needs to be in everyone's toolbox.
- Make sure you have a low profile hex key set. I used the bent part of my hex key to loosen and tighten, but if you have an old set, I would just cut that bent part shorter to help get in there. I had a rounded end on my hex key, but it didn't grab very well and was only used to get the bolt threaded initially and I used the bent part to torque it down.
We travelled down the same PITA road. Seat removal is just silly.

Luckily I had watched a video on the console so knew about the push-pins (I called rivets in my descriptio but push pin is better way to put it.) I lost one of the push pins during reinstall and could not find it. It may shake out eventually but at least it's plastic so can't imagine it doing any damage.

It was a little bit scary tugging on the shelter as to not pull too hard but it definitely takes some effort.

I used ball end allens to remove. Used short end without ball head to loosen then finished with ball end. Used ball end to start and screw down during reinstall then short end to tighten down. The ball end allows you to go in at an angle so don't have to stress plastic as much.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got Homelink programmed so I am a happy camper. Three accessories installed and all are doing their jobs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I thought about the XM antenna on the trunk, but I load the daylights out of my back seat and trunk rack when travelling. There is no way I would get reception in that spot. So, in the stock spot it went.
I honestly think Honda was criminal in not putting that antenna in at the factory. That is insane in the extreme. How far some will go to screw a few extra dollars out of someone. It has to be a savings of less than $10 per bike at the time of manufacture. In fact, I would go so far as to think it's likely less than $5 savings. Yet, it costs us hundreds to do it. Nice. I hope Karma rips them a new one.
Every other vehicle I've owned with XM came with the antenna and then I could use it or not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Successful installation of Goldstrike footboards, Homelink, HeliBars, EC amber fog lights and the Ultimate seat is completed thanks to the Homelink tip. I tucked it back along the framework from the connector. It can't even be seen.

·
Registered
346 Posts
GRB60 if you are talking about the pins to remove the side panels on the trunk push the center in then pry out the pin, to install push center of pin up above the pin then install the pin and after installing push center down even with pin now it is lock back in place, if you just pry it out with out pushing in center you will destroy all the pins you can buy them at most auto parts stores or your local Honda car dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Successful installation of Goldstrike footboards, Homelink, HeliBars, EC amber fog lights and the Ultimate seat is completed thanks to the Homelink tip. I tucked it back along the framework from the connector. It can't even be seen.
You've been busy. Glad the Homelink worked out for you. Putting under seat saves quite a bit of time for sure. How are you liking the ultimate seat?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought about the XM antenna on the trunk, but I load the daylights out of my back seat and trunk rack when travelling. There is no way I would get reception in that spot. So, in the stock spot it went.
I honestly think Honda was criminal in not putting that antenna in at the factory. That is insane in the extreme. How far some will go to screw a few extra dollars out of someone. It has to be a savings of less than $10 per bike at the time of manufacture. In fact, I would go so far as to think it's likely less than $5 savings. Yet, it costs us hundreds to do it. Nice. I hope Karma rips them a new one.
Every other vehicle I've owned with XM came with the antenna and then I could use it or not.
Can't agree enough. This is the most ridiculous thing I have seen on car or bike. To install the expensive component and not install the antenna while bike is being built is just plain dumb and greedy on behalf of Honda.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You've been busy. Glad the Homelink worked out for you. Putting under seat saves quite a bit of time for sure. How are you liking the ultimate seat?
The Ultimate is good so far. One ride of about 180 miles over about 4 hours of back road wandering. No pain in the behind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts