GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I've always figured they would try to punish those helping others keep from getting a ticket. It's best to be cautious if warning others of speed traps. I live in AL, but always help when I can.

2W

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard about some guy that was using his trench coat to flash....does that count? Can this guy be part of the class action?
LOL...It looks like I flashed your thread and did not even know it.
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293411

It would be very cool if FL had to reimburse all those tickets.

They will go nuts. They might have to resort to property forfeiture for all city officials personal cars and maybe beat cops too. Might have to take the Florida Keys run off the list.

Check out this story. About Tampa Mayors new wheels.

http://mpc-blog.blogspot.com/2011/08/bob-buckhorns-new-whip.html

Yikes!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
"Mayor Bob Buckhorn's city vehicle, a jet black GMC Yukon Denali with tinted windows, was seized from a man charged last month with sex trafficking, sexual battery and forcing someone to become a prostitute.

Tampa police seized the SUV on Sept. 28 during their investigation. In addition to transporting prostitutes and the proceeds of prostitution, the SUV was purchased from proceeds of prostitution, police maintain in court documents. In a letter, Fox denied that, saying a cousin's husband bought the SUV at a Clearwater car auction."
==============================================
Gee, nowhere in the story I saw the words - "Found Guilty", "Convicted" "Proven"..........just the police seized the SUV......great business this powleece seizuer business.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm always amazed at how often people use the term "speed trap." Is it the fact that the police are sitting on the side of the road monitoring vehicle speeds that makes violators exceed the posted speed limit. How is that a trap? I, for one, like to see speeders get tickets because their disregard for the law might be putting me in danger. Seems to me that warning them by flashing your lights so that they don't get stopped is just perpetuating their reckless behavior. If you don't want a ticket, don't speed. If you do speed and get a ticket, accept responsibility and don't blame the police. If someone else speeds, let them get the ticket and maybe they'll slow down. Flame away, police haters.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Ever flash your lights as speed trap cop ahead warning in FL and get a ticket?

If so you might get your cash back. See the link below.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/article/207550/250/FHP-sued-for-giving-out-illegal-tickets
No, but there have been several motorcyclist with Modulating Headlights accused and sometimes ticketed for the same charge.

Also ticketed for failure to dim High Beams (while using Modulating headlight on a motorcycle...)

You can't fix stupid... :shrug:

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
I flashed on oncoming motorists once, and as he approached, I realized it was another police car. He flashed back at me, but didn't stop me. I think he got more enjoyment just knowing he had nearly given me a heart attack..:oops:

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm always amazed at how often people use the term "speed trap." Is it the fact that the police are sitting on the side of the road monitoring vehicle speeds that makes violators exceed the posted speed limit. How is that a trap? I, for one, like to see speeders get tickets because their disregard for the law might be putting me in danger. Seems to me that warning them by flashing your lights so that they don't get stopped is just perpetuating their reckless behavior. If you don't want a ticket, don't speed. If you do speed and get a ticket, accept responsibility and don't blame the police. If someone else speeds, let them get the ticket and maybe they'll slow down. Flame away, police haters.
ccfhfer, it doesn't appear you have your hazard lights on in that photo of yours and how many inches are you from the white line?

And just out of curiosity do you use your flashes when you are doing 55 on a four lane divided freeway or only use them when doing the legal minimum at 40?

Who was hating on cops? Not cops its the policy of enforcement that is the issue.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Keep being amazed. You are amazing. If the purpose of the police is to make people obey the speed limit, then anyone flashing their headlights is doing a public service (without a 20 year retirement package + take a car home + free doghnuts + discounts at restaurants).

So....if flashing the lights slows down people and police ends up writing less tickets is a bad thing........draw your own conclusion.....what is the purpose and what is at stake..........

And for your information.....here in Florida there are a number of jurisdictions that issue badges to family members of LEO. Flash it and you are on your way....unless of course you kill or maim someone. Clearly there is a different set of rules for them, another one for the rest of us.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Point is the police never say tickets are for revenue, it's always about trying to slow people down. Flashing my lights at someone will acomplish the same thing except the police don't like it because you're costing them money. Seems like they want it both ways. Do you think the right turn on red light cameras are there to stop people from doing a rolling right turn or for revenue?

·
Registered
242 Posts
The next time you come to Louisiana take a ride up Hwy 165 from I-10 to Woodworth. I'm betting you will go home with a couple new words in your vocabulary and a real understanding of what a "speed trap" is.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Do you think the right turn on red light cameras are there to stop people from doing a rolling right turn or for revenue?
I think that (at least in Texas), you're required to come to a complete stop at a red light. Then, unless otherwise prohibited, you can make a right turn on red when it can be done safely. If the presence of a camera causes someone to make the extra effort to come to a complete stop, the camera has served its purpose. If someone fails to do that and gets a ticket, they deserve it whether it's issued by an officer or a camera. JMHO.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I think that (at least in Texas), you're required to come to a complete stop at a red light. Then, unless otherwise prohibited, you can make a right turn on red when it can be done safely. If the presence of a camera causes someone to make the extra effort to come to a complete stop, the camera has served its purpose. If someone fails to do that and gets a ticket, they deserve it whether it's issued by an officer or a camera. JMHO.

So you're saying the cameras is there for a safety issue or a revenue issue?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Am I denying that cameras generate revenue? No, I'm not. What I am saying is that I believe there they have a deterrent effect in that some driver's who might otherwise violate traffic laws will choose not to do so because there is a camera present and they might get a ticket in the mail for not obeying the law. Sure, they generate revenue. So what. They only make money when people do what they shouldn't be doing. Illegal actions have consequences and some of those consequences are monetary. I don't know or care what the motivation is for installing the cameras. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

BTW, the City of Houston just voted to stop using their red light cameras because it's the "will of the people." Another side note is that my wife got a ticket from a camera when she did a rolling right turn on red. I was able to review the video online and there was no denying that she had violated the law. Was I happy that it cost us $75? No. Did the camera work? Absolutely.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Gotta agree with red light cameras and "speed traps". I have slowed when someone has flashed their lights and a few times I have accidently ran a red light and maybe a few times on purpose but if I get a ticket I have no one to blame but myself and not on the camera or hiding cop. And the whole idea of raising revenue, good deal as long as it is slowing some and stopping others.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
The problem with cameras that pisses people off is that they feel there is not adequate due-process. All you see is a still picture of a person entering an intersection on red. The picture and ticket show up days or weeks after it happened. In most cases, the person doesn't even remember it. There is no way to defend that there could have been mitigating circumstances.

I was sitting at a light the other day, the second vehicle back from a red-light. There were signs in the middle of the intersection stating "do not stop in intersection, $200 fine". I had not seen them before and thought to myself I won't be stopping in that intersection. When the light turned red (keep in mind that I was behind a large SUV and could not see in front of him), the SUV in front of me - first car at the light remember, accelerated, and naturally I accelerated behind him. Much to my surprise, we went about 30 feet and came to a dead stop - with me in the middle of the intersection.

Due to a long line of traffic from a light about a 1/4 of a mile ahead, I was stuck in the middle of the intersection through the red light cycle. Technically I could have been ticketed, but I promise you that 1000 out of 1000 people in my position would have done exactly what I did. When you are the second car back it never occurs to you that you are not going to get through the light - I couldn't see the line of traffic ahead.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Since we dont want law enforcement to generate income, what woould all of you suggest for controlling law violations on our highways??

From what I can tell taking your money is a very good way of making you slow down or at least think about what your doing, at least from your negative comments you dont like them getting into your pocket book, which is the only form of deterant we have right now. I guess we could just let everyone go crazy, kill everyone, crash inocent families etc.... I really dought any law enforcement agency gives badges to family members, but yes a little professional consideration is given, like thousands of people that have gotten warnings instead of tickets when stopped. How many of you work for a company and get discounts on the products or services they deal in, no one gets free game tickets,tshirts,race tickets etc... yeh right-- get over it, be responsible for your actions. I would bet that if it were your family, that just about got run over,cut off on the freeway or anything else you were the first to call a cop for help. Like I have said for 20 years- everyone wants us to do our job without hesitation(cause by god we pay your salary) until it involves them, then they want us to look away. By the way if you would like to have my take home car, you can have it, that way when Im home with my family, trying to forget all the death,neglected children,ungratful people I've helped, how Im going to pay my bills on a mere salary you pay me to face possible death everytime I leave my home, people wont come to my door in the middle of the night wanting help and then complain to the mayor because I suggested they call an on duty unit, because after all what are they paying me for anyway!

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK, let me get this straight. Someone flashes their lights at you and you realize that there is a cop ahead. So, being the public minded person you are, you hold your present speed and get a ticket so you wont deprive the cops of the revenue...........hummmmmm

Bob

1 - 20 of 67 Posts