GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The April, 2004 issue of RoadBike magazine has a list of the "Top 25 Stolen Bikes in 2002." I'm not completely familiar with the model numbers but all of them appear to be "crotch rockets." There's no touring bikes there. So, have any of you ever had your Gold Wing stolen? If so, did you get it back? What condition was it in? (If you can't tell, I'm trying to decide whether or not to purchase an alarm for the Wing. :( )

·
Registered
759 Posts
if someone wants your bike bad nuff..an alarm aint a gonna stop em...thats why you have insurance.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have good insurance, so i really dont worry about it.

look on ebay, seems that harleys are pretty popular to steal and parts out. you could rebuild about a dozen each week from ebay parts.

loren

·
Registered
824 Posts
In ten years of riding a wing, I have never heard of one being stolen. And, only once have I heard of anything being stolen off of one, that being a helmet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Did a research project regarding bike thefts in the Daytona area during Bike Week and Biketoberfest. Typically, we lose about 80 - 90 bikes during the events. I went back to 1998 and could not find any reports of thefts involving Gold Wings! :clap2:

I know several Harley riders use Gold Wing covers on their bikes to prevent people from bothering them at night!

We have apprehended a number of groups responsible for bike thefts in the Daytona area over the years. Many utilize specially constructed vehicles to make the heists quick and easy. Some could load and leave with a bike in under 10 Seconds! Not sure that an alarm would be of any assistance in a situation like that.

Michael

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
FLwingnut1:

That is very interesting scoop. Thank you
for your response. I found it funny that
an HD owner might put a Goldwing cover
on his bike.

I bought my Wing new last spring. Before
my wife and I went on our very first rally
trip, I asked a long time Winger what precautions
he used. He said, "Ya know, not much. It is
not like it is a Harley."

·
Registered
190 Posts
Harley's, Ducati's, Japanese sports bikes are on the desired list. I know BMW's will not get stolen even if you left them running with an assortment of different size helmets next to them.

It gives me peace of mind to hear the the Wing is on the safe list.

·
Co-Sponsor
444 Posts
Prior to owning dealerships, I was with Progressive Insurance..in the motorcycle division... Never had a claim in over 10 years.

there are a couple of factors
1) Too Big
2) Too Heavy
3) Wont fit in the back of a regular van
4) No market for the stolen parts.

Most bikes, sport bikes and harley's fit in the back of an enclosed van, are easy for a couple of guys to lift if they have to and the bikes are worth more in parts, than as a whole

Hope this makes sense

·
Registered
287 Posts
Javern said:
nope, only had my virginity stolen :?
Javern, I wish someone would steal that carton from your mouth. If it was Guinness :beer8: it would have been stolen long ago. :capwin:

:luck: :rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
846 Posts
Big Red. said:
Javern said:
nope, only had my virginity stolen :?
Javern, I wish someone would steal that carton from your mouth. If it was Guinness :beer8: it would have been stolen long ago. :capwin:

Yea who is that character? It can't be Javern, can it?

:luck: :rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stolen?

Nobody steals Goldwings, there is no after market for the parts. I dont even take the keys out of mine when going in to pay for gas I would have been scared to death if I left the keys in my Harley.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, basically what y'all are saying is that I should spend my money on "safety chrome" instead of an alarm. Sounds good to me! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
My riding partner and I were just talking about this a couple of weeks ago. We both have custom Harleys that we built ourselves. He also has a Beemer and I've got a Gold Wing. He was on his beemer and I was on my Gold Wing and we were talking about the difference between the precautions we take on those versus the precautions we take with our Harleys. Neither of us does anything more than lock the steering neck on our tour bikes, but we chain and lock the Harleys to a fare-the-well. We'd both come to the same conclusions: if the tour bikes get stolen we'd just shrug our shoulders and let the insurance company buy another one just like it, but the Harleys were the product of our sweat and blood and woe betide anybody we caught messing with them.

It's good to hear that nobody else has ever heard of anybody stealing a Gold Wing. I was wondering if it happened and I just didn't hear of it.

S

·
0 Posts
Once when I went to get insurance I was asked if the bike was a Harley as they were #1 on the stolen list. I said no but that Harleys arn't stolen the owners just park them in back of bars to close to the garbage conainers and they simply get hauled away.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Daddy Olie Wrote

Nobody steals Goldwings, there is no after market for the parts.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Siphoning gas out of our Goldwings
is probably the only thing someone can put on-in their Bike Bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I plan on putting a perimeter alarm system on my bike that pages me because I would like to know if someone tries to mess with it.

I activate my reverse gear before turning off the bike to prevent someone from rolling it. This is very fast & easy.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Does having a throttle rocker and a helmeted smiley-face antenna ball stolen from my Wing count? :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
stolen?

Well, when I first bought my 'wing last year, I bought a Scorpio with lights, bells, and whistles. :oops: I even have a motion sensor which warns anybody who gets too close. The alarm also pages me (if I am in range).

Anyway... with my half cover and that alarm, I feel pretty safe with most of my gadgets (gps, cell, Ipod, helmets, gloves...) if I am leaving my bike for a short period.

I'm sure the bad guys have heard of my super alarm and, since they are not sure which bike is mine, simply stay away from all 'wings. :shock:

Y'all don't need to thank me. :roll: :p :a13:

Hey folks! It's getting warmer. Me and my 4 year old son just went for a spin today. :yes2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts