GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a lot with a group of 3-4 Gold Wingers and on many occasions our number one front man will pass a slow moving car and with us in a blind curve and say, "come on around, it's clear, nothin coming!" I have often felt helpless and reckless when passing a car in this situation, sometings reaching speeds up to 70-80 mph. I have put my life in his hands because I can't see what is coming toward me. Have any of you felt this way and how do you handle it? Are there safety rules that cover this?

Secondly, when we come to a stop at an intersection, if he sees it is clear, he will say, come on out...its clear. Once again I get this strange feeling of being unsafe. How do others feel and handle this situation.
I have often felt reluctant to tell the rider behind me to come on out in the road that I have determined it to be clear of on coming traffic. What if I made a mistake? What if I only looked one way and there was a car coming?

I have noticed that when the bike in front of me turns left or right at an intersection, even though he made it out, a second later a car has appeared. If I blindly followed him out into traffic, I would have been hit. I wonder how many accidents happen because of following the other bike out into traffic?
Thanks for your advice on this matter.....LarryR

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Follow your instincts. Your head is giving you the right information. I would never pull out into an interesection like this unless the person prompting me was standing in the road. Then I could be certain that he had as much riding on his declaration as I did.

But that is just me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
NEVER NEVER Trust another with your life. If He makes a mistake can He bring you back to life. I would give Him a BIG F-U on the head phone.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I have heard this many times and each time I pass at my own rate and my own disgression. I ride my own ride. If the lead guy thinks it is safe and says come on ahead, I wait until I can determine that for myself. It is a bad practice, in my opinion because he can't see everything.

Go with what you know and how you feel about any given situation. If I get hit because I was being careless, that is my fault. If I turn my control of my bike over to someone else, then that just makes me the fool, Dead right or dead wrong.

JMHO

·
Registered
297 Posts
When riding with my brother we sometimes give an "it's clear" or a "come on around" when passing a slow moving vehicle on a curvey road where you have limited sight, I don't think anything about it. Intersections, red lights, stop signs or leaving a parking lot, I trust my eyes and no one elses. I would be more leary of trusting just anyone on giving directions when passing.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I'll pass on a blind curve even if a car is coming if I am drunk enough.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Got to be real carefull, considering private drives etc, that might enter the lane between the lead bike and those following.

Been there done that. Not very pretty.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I learned to verify things for myself at the age of 16. My best friend told me it was clear to the right and I pulled out without looking. Narrowly missed being t-boned by a large land yacht style Oldsmobile. I never trusted him or anyone else again when it comes to driving.

·
Registered
589 Posts
yellow wolf said:
i trust the people i trust 100%,the rest....... well i look for myself
:yes: :beer3: Couldn't have said it better myself Sir

·
Registered
206 Posts
Aside from whether or not you trust the lead rider with your life (and that is exactly what you are doing if you follow his prompt), you are almost certainly breaking the law in that situation, which won't help you a bit if something does go wrong. Further, I would imagine it could both surprise, and upset, the driver of the cage, which would insert more uncertainty into the situation, the last thing you need under the circumstances.

For me, it simply isn't worth what is at stake - my life. I ride my own ride, and I pass when I think it's safe and appropriate.

Carl

·
Registered
291 Posts
One very simple phrase that applies here,and in many, many other circumstances:

Ride your own ride.

If the lead rider gives the all clear, take that into consideration and make your own decision, based on YOUR first-hand knowledge of the situation.

Roy

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's why I don't ride with wingers. They chatter too much on the CB, and most ride with their heads up their asses and don't pay attention to traffic conditions around them because the "road caption" says it's safe to pass, or it's safe to pull out, or it's safe to do this or it's safe to do that. I can't even begin to tell you how many close calls I've seen because somebody said "it's safe to..."

Ride your own ride dude, and don't listen to anybody but yourself when it comes to riding your bike in a safe and proper manner :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd find someone else to ride with. You did not elaborate on what kind of intersection, but passing in a curve, and entering an intersection without a green light is against the law. Of course, getting a ticket would be a much smaller price to pay than death. The latter is going to occur if the situation continues.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Take what he's telling you in consideration, but, by all means, Ride your own ride, and trust no one with your life.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Others here can't say it enough ... trust what you can see, restrained by your inner voice, trust nothing else.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kind of reminds me of the few words a maintenance person hates to hear on the walkie talkie.......SHUT IT OFF! SHUT IT OFF! I hate to twist a valve that has a pipe running to some other place. Just the same I hate to pull out of a blind spot with the advise of someone else. Kind of like those finger drivers at a four way stop. Ken

·
Registered
601 Posts
As the lead rider, I will give the information "passing area coming up and it is clear". that way the others can anticipate the passing area (no solid yellow line) and have a better chance at a safe pass.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I will always trust the lead rider in such circumstances, unless he's on a Harley. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts