GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't take the trailer off, how do you park when you go to restaurants, etc. that don't have trailer friendly parking?

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
964 Posts
My bike and trailer fit just fine in one average parking spot. I was a little concerned about backing it up at first, but after I did it a couple of times I found out it's not a problem.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
a true story... the day after I picked up my trailer... my wife and I stopped in Johnson City, Tn... at a Wal Mart... to buy her some walking shoes... I parked in front of the garden center COMPLETELY out of the way... there was no other vehicles within 30 yards of where I parked...
i pulled thru the parking space into the next one... we went inside to shop... when we returned... and was just about to pull out ..i was hooking
up my intercom cord... i felt my bike lunge forward ... upon looking in the rear view mirror I saw a vehicle pulling out from the spot directly in back of me... it turns out some woman had backed into the parking place directly in back of me... she had backed into my 24 hour old trailer..
i got off my bike and ran over to her van and opened the door and put her vehicle in park and pulled out her keys... and told her "Lady you just backed into my BRAND NEW TRAILER... well, it turned out there was no damage to my Escapade... after about 10 minutes of carefully checking out my trailer.. it seemed her bumber lined up to my trailer bumper...
I read her the riot act... and left..
So now I take 2 parking places... across them... that way my bike and trailer can be seen...

cosmic

·
Registered
19,049 Posts
cosmic---you are one lucky guy

·
Registered
442 Posts
Like Jeff said they are easy to back up. In fact I find it easer to back one with the bike as to one in a cage. I can see it better.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
a true story... the day after I picked up my trailer... my wife and I stopped in Johnson City, Tn... at a Wal Mart... to buy her some walking shoes... I parked in front of the garden center COMPLETELY out of the way... there was no other vehicles within 30 yards of where I parked...
i pulled thru the parking space into the next one... we went inside to shop... when we returned... and was just about to pull out ..i was hooking
up my intercom cord... i felt my bike lunge forward ... upon looking in the rear view mirror I saw a vehicle pulling out from the spot directly in back of me... it turns out some woman had backed into the parking place directly in back of me... she had backed into my 24 hour old trailer..
i got off my bike and ran over to her van and opened the door and put her vehicle in park and pulled out her keys... and told her "Lady you just backed into my BRAND NEW TRAILER... well, it turned out there was no damage to my Escapade... after about 10 minutes of carefully checking out my trailer.. it seemed her bumber lined up to my trailer bumper...
I read her the riot act... and left..
So now I take 2 parking places... across them... that way my bike and trailer can be seen...

cosmic
cosmic....I saw a story on cnn....the woman is still waiting in the parking lot. She wants her keys back so she can go home. :lol:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I haven't found parking to be any kind of problem. As stated above, it is easy to back up, especially with reverse on the Goldwing. I try to be thoughtful about where I park to avoid the problem that Cosmic talks about above. Of course when I put up my Corona Umbrella, it becomes a lot more visible. :wink:

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
trailer

cosmic_chariot said:
i got off my bike and ran over to her van and opened the door and put her vehicle in park and pulled out her keys... and told her "Lady you just backed into my BRAND NEW TRAILER...
cosmic
Don't try that in Georgia :croc:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Most parking spaces are 10 X 20 and my rig fits just fine. When the parking space has a bumper out 3 feet or so from the end of the space, I back in and let the trailer hang over the bumper.

I try to park in single row parking where I can, and park in the end slot when I can. These two items help keep the rig from being run into. In the end slot, you can pull to the extreme side of the slot. I often turn the bike at the end so as to suck the trailer in farther.

I also back in most times because the bike is easier to see for those who like to turn and then leave the slot rather than leave the slot and then turn.

Today, my main problem was keeping things from blowing away. It was errand day and at one place, both helmet and gloves blew off the seat. At another, my head silk blew out of my helmet and went to the next county after I put my gloves in the trailer. I found myself looking for parking places out of the wind just so I could get me helmet on before my head silk blew off my head. It was 34 degrees when I sarted out.

People drive more crazily when it is blowing hard.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Cosmic
like the saying goes " IT'S A SHAME STUPIDITY IS PAINLESS"

AND DON'T FORGET THIS ONE

" EVERYONE WHO WALKS THRU THESE DOORS IS A POTENTIAL HEADACHE OR A MORON"

this pertains to 90% of the cage drivers these days :wink: :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts