GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a friend on a trip recently and while cruising along, the engine and the whole bike just shut down. He coasted to a stop and as one would do, tried to restart the bike. NOTHING, it was like there was no battery in the bike.
While sitting there for a few minutes trying to get some road service, he happened to try it again, and the dash came on and the bike started up and he proceeded to ride for the next 400 miles to his distination. Since then has ridden antother 1,000 miles. So what happened?
Got any ideas?
Buckskin

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Had a friend on a trip recently and while cruising along, the engine and the whole bike just shut down. He coasted to a stop and as one would do, tried to restart the bike. NOTHING, it was like there was no battery in the bike.
While sitting there for a few minutes trying to get some road service, he happened to try it again, and the dash came on and the bike started up and he proceeded to ride for the next 400 miles to his distination. Since then has ridden antother 1,000 miles. So what happened?
Got any ideas?
Buckskin
I'd say it's a bad/cracked plate in the battery.Or a loose connection on the battery cables.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Probably rode past too many DQ's without stopping....... or just maybe it's an electrical issue. Start with the simple stuff. Corroded terminals, loose dirty ground, bad battery.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Bumped the kill switch, been known to happen

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The alternator delivers its power through the battery and the cables. It still could have been a poor battery cable connection.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The alternator delivers its power through the battery and the cables. It still could have been a poor battery cable connection.

Alternator connects to the load side of the 100 amp fuse, the battery is on the line side of this fuse'
if you unhook your battery with the bike running , it will stay running

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I would be looking in the alternator. The windings may be getting ready to go.

Not enough info to make a diagnosis.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Alternator connects to the load side of the 100 amp fuse, the battery is on the line side of this fuse'
if you unhook your battery with the bike running , it will stay running
Well, on the Valkyrie it would keep running, but I tried that on my '02 and it would not run with no battery (remove cable - dies). Could be wrong... memory is full of black holes, but I seem to remember this one...

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,482 Posts
The 1800 should keep running without the battery as long as the electrical load isn't too high. Too much load will pull the field down and it will stop putting out enough for the regulator to compensate for.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I have never falling asleep on my Wing but every once in a while I do start to daydreaming and getting distracted with something or another.

I hit the kill switch and did not even know it once on a very peaceful ride down the Oregon coast with the cruise set trying to figure out a new method to scratch my ears without loosening my chinstrap. It involved both hands at times off the bars and then alternating back and forth to the bars and a pen I fished out of the jacket I was wearing under my other jacket.

It took me all of ten minutes if not longer after having removed and checked more than a few fuses and vital connections to have a little birdie whisper in my ear.

Not likely but perhaps a shake out the hands break that hit and then reengaged the kill switch?

Does not sound like it though.

I am becoming more convinced that the Wing electronics are evolving artificial intelligence and just like to mess around with us now and then.

But if there is no way some crazy kill switch off and on happened I would definitely be pondering what is going on with the alternator and all the love that flows from it while running.

Also perhaps some nasty is starting to gain some loose momentum and or corrosion with the kill switch or side stand kill as well and that angel sensor aka the angle sensor is a lovely saftey invention too.

Heck and those three are just the begining of all the sensors that shut her down when they speak.

Yes not much help but i am still getting up my courage with the Wing electronics myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts